A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

X-Post : First RS6 Test in AutoCar

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very nice numbers! Still won't produce 190mph as someone stated. Would love to drive each one and

do a comparison. Audi has done well on this one!
Old 08-01-2002, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That is the slowest M5 I have ever seen, in fact,...

those 1/4 mile numbers are about equal to a '95 3.8 340hp M5 (in terms of time anyway).

Antiquated technologies? I think it is just different. A driving experience isn't always about ultimate grip but sometimes the experience itself. RWD does give the ability to really steer the car with the throttle, as I am sure you can to some degree with quattro. Whether a driver prefers awd to 50/50 weight distribution and rwd is a matter of preference. I had a ride in very fast '95 S4 on the track a year or so ago. He was very quick and running at about 1:50 or so at Laguna. The only way I can describe the driving technique is pitch and punch. He would just let the quattro pull the car through the corner. It was fun but not nearly as smooth as a quickly driven rwd car. Not saying it was worse but it certainly wasn't as technical a style of driving.

Living in California, I can see few reasons to justify the extra weight of the RS6 over the M5. I am sure both cars are great but the M5 is already a pig, I wouldn't want something even heavier. Plus, the next M5 will likely close the gap in terms of power. I know, I know, you can chip the RS6.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:45 AM

Default I agree with you...

Quattro is great, so are the BMWs. Having a M5, it truly is deserving of all it's praise. Period. But so is the RS6. Most drivers can't drive either car anywhere near the capability of the car. Driving legends in our own minds, we are. One thing I have noticed about this page, is some wierd need to validate ones choice in cars. I loved my 4.2 when I had it, sometimes I wish I had kept it. The M5 is just an awesome car. Period. Better? Yes. No. Maybe. Depends on who's doing the asking. Audi owners? BMW owners? Magazines?
Old 08-01-2002, 08:00 AM
Elder Member

Default how the heck is the M5 6 inches longer than the A6?

I'm going to have to measure up today when I get into work (a friend has an M5), but if I recall correctly, my A6 DWARFS the M5. It is significantly longer and a lot bigger in the rear seat area. And the M5 (compact) is in the next class down from an A6 (full size), as far as car sizes are concerned.

So what gives?

Way to go with the awful MPG Audi, you wouldn't want to break the mold.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:02 AM
Elder Member

Default you sure have cajones

To come onto an Audi board and plug quirky descriptions of driving styles/mechanisms and conclude the one belonging to the hosts of this board is inferior and clearly for the unskilled masses (i.e. less technical).

Do you really expect to be liked or your opinions appreciated on an Audi board when you do such things? Chuck doesn't do such things.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I noticed that seemed odd also.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: you sure have cajones

I was simply describing an experience. I apologize if it came off as a generalization. Maybe a better driver would be much smoother.

So, should I only post if I agree? Is that how it works? I don't agree that rwd is "antiquated" but since I don't have an Audi I should not post? I tend to try to be diplomatic when having a discussion. That is all this is you know and it is just about cars---not about people's wives and girlfriends.

So, Steve, tell me why I am wrong and describe how a high hp quattro car should be driven. My only experience on the track is the one I described and it was totally different one than the many I have had in rwd cars as a passenger. I have followed plenty of Audis on the track and the only difference I noted was they turn in later and more sharply then I would in my rwd antique.

Again, I did not mean to be a troll and I don't think the post had that tone.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:28 AM

Default Validating one's choice in cars

I don't think that validating one's choice in cars is limited to the people on this board, if you look at other boards. I think it's just human nature, plus why did we buy an Audi if we didn't think it was the best in its class?

Some of us who have had many other cars know that there are a lot of good ones out there. However, there's no denying that Audi and BMW both make great automobiles.

DW aka flyin' CVT :-)
Old 08-01-2002, 08:55 AM

European bumper difference, perhaps?

Quick Reply: X-Post : First RS6 Test in AutoCar