A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

05 AUDI A6 Quadro S-Line trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 AUDI A6 Quadro S-Line trouble shooting

I have a 07 Civic SI. A local guy wants to trade his a6 sline with 101k miles. I noticed the abs, srs, and brake light wwrestling lit up on the dash. The temp marl also sat a hair above the half Mark toward H. Car clicked and ticked as it normally would. No loud knocks. I asked last time the timing belt was done & he's said his friend might know. So probably a while ago or never.

what would it cost to fix those issues on the dash lights? I know it's hard to tell because it might be a few things or one particular thing.

What's a timing belt kit job cost on these cars? Is it hard to do it myself? I have to remove the front bumper, rad support, radiator & lines right?

exterior & interior wise the car is in great shape. Full leather with GPS & Audio system. I want it but if it costs alot to fix up then I won't bother.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's a lot of variables here. First the fact his friend "might" know it's a red flag. That job in itself will run you into the thousands of dollars.

In my limited experience with cars, I know that the previous owner is just as important as the car itself. Looks can be deceiving.

If I were you, I would continue searching because if this car is over 100k. The timing belt/serpentine belt would have had to been done recently(or soon to come.) either way, the previous owner would know or should be aware of this and give you a warning about it.

I would keep searching. The car you find might not match up in terms of the exterior or interior but if you find the right owner, you can trust they really invested their time and finances into keeping the important parts of the car correct. Or at least they have an idea of what can or will happen when you take over as owner.

peace
Old 01-29-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

The car does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Cknight90
I have a 07 Civic SI. A local guy wants to trade his a6 sline with 101k miles. I noticed the abs, srs, and brake light wwrestling lit up on the dash. The temp marl also sat a hair above the half Mark toward H. Car clicked and ticked as it normally would. No loud knocks. I asked last time the timing belt was done & he's said his friend might know. So probably a while ago or never.

what would it cost to fix those issues on the dash lights? I know it's hard to tell because it might be a few things or one particular thing.

What's a timing belt kit job cost on these cars? Is it hard to do it myself? I have to remove the front bumper, rad support, radiator & lines right?

exterior & interior wise the car is in great shape. Full leather with GPS & Audio system. I want it but if it costs alot to fix up then I won't bother.
OP, as Kevin stated, there is not timing belt on your car...it's a chain and requires you to either remove the engine or drop the tranny to work on it...yes it's a BIG job and without access to a garage, extremely difficult.

As for the other issues...
Step 1 - get a VCDS scanner and get a complete log. Then wipe all codes and pull the log again...see what persists.
Step 2 - get a full PPI (prepurchase inspection) on the vehicle - you'll discover many more things that you won't be able to see from visual inspection at road level. Eg, control arms, bushings, leaks, suspension issues, etc...
Step 3 - budget $$ for things to fix...this is no civic and parts can be more costly and more difficult to maintain vs. what you have today.

BTW, you failed to mention if it's a 3.2 or 4.2 motor
Old 01-29-2017, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorNYC
It's a lot of variables here. First the fact his friend "might" know it's a red flag. That job in itself will run you into the thousands of dollars.

In my limited experience with cars, I know that the previous owner is just as important as the car itself. Looks can be deceiving.

If I were you, I would continue searching because if this car is over 100k. The timing belt/serpentine belt would have had to been done recently(or soon to come.) either way, the previous owner would know or should be aware of this and give you a warning about it.

I would keep searching. The car you find might not match up in terms of the exterior or interior but if you find the right owner, you can trust they really invested their time and finances into keeping the important parts of the car correct. Or at least they have an idea of what can or will happen when you take over as owner.

peace
PoorNYC, I don't agree with all of what you've stated. If you don't even know if the vehicle has a belt or chain for timing...perhaps you should bone up on what makes your vehicle function. As for 100k...the car is 12 years old, avg mileage is 12K/year, which would mean the car would be ~140K miles. I agree that serpentine belts need changing, but these aren't overly difficult.

As for regular maintenance: filters, fluids, plugs, suspension components...based upon the PO (previous owner), you'd be able to asses what's needed and what's good.

I do agree that when buying a used vehicle you are buying the PO, as much as the vehicle...if they are on the "up and up" the car is usually a reflection of that. Or there are folks on here who happen to be OCD on their vehicles and IMHO, that is the perfect person to buy a used vehicle from

FWIW, I bought my C6 many years ago from the original owner who hadn't done the valve cover gaskets and let the TPMS die on him...other than those 2 things, the car was in great shape and the first thing I did was change out all the fluid: tranny, diff, oil, brake, etc...as well as addressing the known issues.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thx! Understood. I will not be getting it.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

.. 3.2litre btw
Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, scan the car with VCDS scanner. By the sound of what you're saying, it could be ABS module has gone bad(new $1000 or used $100) or the parking brake switch is bad. But I betting on the ABS module being bad. All ABS, SRS and brake light point to the safety features or the car. But before all that, has it been in an accident? Because that could change everything.