A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

06 A6 Bumper bracket replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 A6 Bumper bracket replacement ?

Has anyone removed a bumper bracket this is specific to A6 C6 but guessing it is the same style on other bumper and models of the year. I had removed the bumper for some other work and realized both L/R brackets that attach the bumper to the body were busted so decided to order replacement parts for it. In the pic below in the highlighted oval #4 is the plastic bracket which is attached to the body with #3 screw. I can unscrew the screw and it is totally loose and spins but it will not pup up, it's like some locking mechanism is preventing it from coming out. I looked on the other side where most of the bracket is missing and there is a green plastic fastener of some sort the screw sits in. Same issue on this side the screw is loose and just spins but wont come out. Any insight as how to remove this so I can install the new part. Again German Engineering overthinking small things

Old 12-01-2023, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Bracket #4 likes to break with minor front end accident bumps along with the side brackets to the fenders.

Sounds like the lock carrier side nut is free spinning. The screw is recessed into the webbing of the bracket so this can be fiddly. I would try adding some mechanical resistance to the free spinning nut by prying up on the screw, or reach through the small gap with a flat tip screwdriver to apply side pressure to the green plastic nut support while undoing the screw, etc.

Last edited by AudiAllTheWay; 12-01-2023 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
Bracket #4 likes to break with minor front end accident bumps along with the side brackets to the fenders.

Sounds like the lock carrier side nut is free spinning. The screw is recessed into the webbing of the bracket so this can be fiddly. I would try adding some mechanical resistance to the free spinning nut by prying up on the screw, or reach through the small gap with a flat tip screwdriver to apply side pressure to the green plastic nut support while undoing the screw, etc.

Thanks yea I'm trying everything at this point last resort is to drill it out. It is a pain to get it out though I have the new part coming in today so will look at it and see if there is something else I can figure out.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

A few more thoughts:

Add some lubricating penetrant and walk the screw in and out a few times if corrosion is a restricting factor.

Try a small impact gun with the bit in the screw while inducing mechanical resistance on the green part. The quick succession impacts can help.

Try prying upwards between the #4 bracket and the lock carrier plus a helper prying sideways on the green part to add as much mechanical resistance as possible.

On the broken #4 bracket side, remove enough of the damaged bracket to get clear access to the green part to see exactly what’s going on.
The following users liked this post:
rvt1000 (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
A few more thoughts:

Add some lubricating penetrant and walk the screw in and out a few times if corrosion is a restricting factor.

Try a small impact gun with the bit in the screw while inducing mechanical resistance on the green part. The quick succession impacts can help.

Try prying upwards between the #4 bracket and the lock carrier plus a helper prying sideways on the green part to add as much mechanical resistance as possible.

On the broken #4 bracket side, remove enough of the damaged bracket to get clear access to the green part to see exactly what’s going on.
That worked I had to push upwards on the green locking mechanism from under the bracket and then the screw comes out normally. after a bit It does break the locking mechanism as it breaks free, so will need to figure out something or some other screw that fits in there tightly. the green part looks like a sheetrock plastic anchor that just slides over the hole .. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick update to anyone that does have to replace this bracket in the future as these to tend to break . The green locking mechanism that breaks and separates upon removing the screw is most likely part of the mount ( attached to radiator) from factory as the bracket comes with no locking mechanism or screws. I had to use a U clip you slide it over the mount and then place bracket over it and screw it in and it works perfect.