A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 A6 transmission problems after fluid change-update

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeWidd
Thanks Mark for your reply, and I’m sorry it took so long for me to respond. This matter is still being processed, and is yet unresolved. The car isn’t being driven much. Before I can go any further with the theory that ‘this fluid is wrong for the correct function of the tranny...unless the update to the software accompanies it’ I must understand why. What direct, or in direct connection does the absent software update to the transmission control module have with the chemistry of the updated fluid and the way the transmission functions with it. They are telling me that there is some problem in the tranny that is coincidental to the changing of this fluid. I don’t put much belief in coinsidance. Why and how does the presence of this updated fluid influence this shifting process in the transmission wrongly when the software update to the TCM is not included?
As an update, I have now contacted the transmission manufacturer, ZF North America. They absolutely confirm that this updated fluid is not compatible unless the updated software is also loaded. They recommend I take the vehicle to a shop that has drew technologies access if the dealership is not interested in helping solve this problem. This software is apparently available online if you subscribe to that service. I did just that at a small shop here in Cheyenne. After having the car for 2 weeks, the shop claims they were successful. Since the vehicle transmission did not function any differently, I doubted that they were ever successful, as they never charged me for this service. I think they just got frustrated with the process . I subsequently took the vehicle to another Audi dealership in the Denver area, and they downloaded the current software version confirming that no TCM update has ever been done. I authorize them to update it if they could. They attempted, just as the first Audi dealer ship did, two times. No success. They returned the car to me with no improvement , and recommended that I bring it back and leave it for a few days, so they can contact their Audi help line for guidance. My vehicles current TCM (transmission control module) software version is 4F2910156G (per the download on the VIN) ZF North America manufactures this transmission with NO APPARENT UPGRADE INFO ON IT after you put new upgraded fluid in it as recommended in the TSB. I am still not able to use the car without serious klunks between 1st an 2nd going up an down in the shift process. As I see it, I have two choices at this point. #1) Give it back to the Audi dealer in Denver and let them have it for a few days to resolve the issue once and for all with their Audi help line people. #2) If in fact there is no resolution for the software issue on the TCM, I guess I will have to change back to the original fluid (6HP19) and hope for the best. (At least that klunking wasn’t as bad) ZF North America rep says that I should stay with the updated fluid and force the issue with Audi. So far this has cost me over $1200 just trying to be proactive and follow the recommended TSB. DONT EVER TELL ME AUDI HAS A BETTER PRODUCT. The car currently has 66,328 miles on it.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I’m sorry to hear about these troubles you’re having. If it makes you feel any better my 05 A6 3.2 is at 160k on the original fluid (I believe). Thanks for the update on this thread and we’re all keeping fingers crossed.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

bad your not near me..i can update software on various modules...... :/
/H
Old 06-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You mentioned Cheyenne and I stay in Montana so pretty close!