A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

3.0T: A6 OIL BURNING

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.0T: A6 OIL BURNING

My 2011 A6 Prestige Supercharge is burning engine oil quickly. No leak, sent to several shops and dealer to look at it. No one can give me straight answer. I get the low oil light every 800 miles. I basically add 1 qt each time. Is this normal, I doubt it. Please if anyone knows what this issue is, let me know.
The following users liked this post:
mill3241 (09-11-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Wrong forum

This forum is for the C5 version of the A6, produced between 1997 and 2004

Old 05-23-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

moved
Old 05-23-2019, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 148 Likes on 133 Posts

Not normal.

what colour is your exhaust? Have a buddy follow you while you drive, see if you get blue smoke at a light, or starting to drive away, or when you punch it on the highway.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Are you sure it’s the Light warning of low oil level or is it warming of low oil PRESSURE? If it’s the camshaft solenoids o rings there will not be much (if any) oil visible on top of the engine, it will leak down where you can’t see it. You will (probably) get a low oil pressure warning when starting the engine cold, but it will go away as the engine heats up.

The reason it goes away is when the engine heats up the metal expands and squeezes the o rings tighter. When cold the oil leaks right out.

If it’s those rings you will not have oil under your car when parked, the reason for that is they sit on top of the engine and gravity holds the oil down until the engine starts, that causes the oil to go through the system and leak UPWARDS. So it will look like you aren’t leaking oil but you are, just very minimal.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, mine has eaten a liter of oil every 1k miles for years. I'm certain it is the PVC/Breather, but haven't had the urge to do the repair. I just keep a jug of 5w40 in the trunk at all times and top up as needed. 130k miles on the odo.

I should add that there is no smoke from the exhaust. The only time I can get a good puff of black, carbon filled smoke is when I punch it. If I punch it a second time there is pretty much no smoke.

Last edited by C6Avant; 05-24-2019 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wesold1 (11-02-2023)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Trizk1
My 2011 A6 Prestige Supercharge is burning engine oil quickly. No leak, sent to several shops and dealer to look at it. No one can give me straight answer. I get the low oil light every 800 miles. I basically add 1 qt each time. Is this normal, I doubt it. Please if anyone knows what this issue is, let me know.
Trizk1, recently I wrote about my A6 oil consumption on Q7 forum, here is the copy:
I’ve been vocal about excessive oil consumption in our A6 3T that stabilized at ~600miles/quart. As one major culprit causing it is mulfunctioning PCV, before throwing a towel I tried one more thing. I switched to LiquiMoly Molygen and Engine Flush additive before oil change. After first change oil consumption was more or less similar, 6 quarts/5000 miles. After second oil change/flush consumption was noticeable improved, 5quarts/5000 miles. After third cycle there is real breakthrough: 1900 miles and no oil light yet! I kept engine idling for 30 min with the engine flush and maybe pcv was cleaned more effectively. This is N=1 experiment, however, and no guarantee for others, but it’s worth replicating, and I encourage you to try.
Update1: the light came yesterday after 2200 miles! So it is a month without constant thinking about damn oil. I will continue this experiment and report later what the results are.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Butrym
Trizk1, recently I wrote about my A6 oil consumption on Q7 forum, here is the copy:
I’ve been vocal about excessive oil consumption in our A6 3T that stabilized at ~600miles/quart. As one major culprit causing it is mulfunctioning PCV, before throwing a towel I tried one more thing. I switched to LiquiMoly Molygen and Engine Flush additive before oil change. After first change oil consumption was more or less similar, 6 quarts/5000 miles. After second oil change/flush consumption was noticeable improved, 5quarts/5000 miles. After third cycle there is real breakthrough: 1900 miles and no oil light yet! I kept engine idling for 30 min with the engine flush and maybe pcv was cleaned more effectively. This is N=1 experiment, however, and no guarantee for others, but it’s worth replicating, and I encourage you to try.
Update1: the light came yesterday after 2200 miles! So it is a month without constant thinking about damn oil. I will continue this experiment and report later what the results are.
I'm going to give this a shot. Just ordered everything from ECS!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello Butrym,
I was also given this recommendation to switch to Liqui Moly Engine Oil. I did and have been for the past 3 months, but it seems like it is getting worse, but I did not do the Engine Flush recommendation you have here. I will try this now and see if this helps. I just got the low oil warning after 600 miles. It is really getting worse. I will keep all posted on this.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Trizk1,
In my experience Liqui Moly 5W40, I’ve been using over last 5 years, didn’t help by itself. The reduced consumption of oil occurred after I switch to MolyGen 5W40 with engine flush before oil change. I think that MolyGen’s additives can help in sealing and lubrication due to molecular binding to the metal surfaces but the light hydrocarbon blend of engine flush is responsible for cleaning pcv, and partial restoration of its original functionality. Let’s see what lays ahead of ours 3.0Ts but I cannot complain with current outcome. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 3.0T: A6 OIL BURNING