A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-20-2016, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

A6 3.2 3rd gear slippage...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 3.2 3rd gear slippage...

I bought an '06 A6 Avant 3.2 with 60K miles on it a little over a month ago. The is the first car I have owned with an automatic transmission. (This is my 5th Audi) I notice that when accelerating at a mild pace, when the car changes from 2nd into 3rd gear, it seems to slip for a second or two before fully engaging 3rd gear. Almost seems like there is a half gear in there. If I accelerate more briskly, and the transmission shifts into 3rd from a higher RPM, it engages quickly and does not slip at all. I am starting to think this is a feature of the transmission to make low RPM shifts smoother without too much of a drop in RPM, bringing the motor out of it's better torque range... but I am not sure.

Can anyone else verify that their car does this as well, or if this is something that perhaps could be fixed with a software update or Auto Trans Fluid change?

Thanks-
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Search for adaptive transmission learning reset. I can't recall exactly how to do it. Someone had a way to do it with the gas pedal I think. There might be a VCDS reset for it also also. Good to try that first and see if it helps.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It might be locking of torque converter at light throttle.
Torque converter will not lock at heavy throttle.
If you have a VAG-COM, you will be able to see status of the gear and the torque converter.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my 4.2 is at dealer right now for similar reason. when decelerating i was getting a bump or slight jerking between 4th to 3rd. After finally replicating issue dealer had to consult AOA. they pulled data points from ecm and trans control module and found that it was a learning issue. They ultimately wiped the memory and reloaded. So when i pick it up it will adapt to my driving style all over again. They felt as though it may have to do with previous owners style versus mine. My only problem with that train of thought is to wonder why it happens now. I've owned the car since June 09. Now granted I do drive based on mood so my aggression and use of S mode or Tiptronic varies but I still wonder. They said there was nothing mechanical so I guess I'll have to see how it plays out. Hope this helps
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
my 4.2 is at dealer right now for similar reason. when decelerating i was getting a bump or slight jerking between 4th to 3rd. After finally replicating issue dealer had to consult AOA. they pulled data points from ecm and trans control module and found that it was a learning issue. They ultimately wiped the memory and reloaded. So when i pick it up it will adapt to my driving style all over again. They felt as though it may have to do with previous owners style versus mine. My only problem with that train of thought is to wonder why it happens now. I've owned the car since June 09. Now granted I do drive based on mood so my aggression and use of S mode or Tiptronic varies but I still wonder. They said there was nothing mechanical so I guess I'll have to see how it plays out. Hope this helps
i'm having a similar problem...how do you wipe the memory? does the dealer have to do it? and how much did it cost??
Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dealer is doing it. I imagine it requires removal of the control units and some sort of hookup to VAGCOM. Or maybe not. I'm under CPO so there is no cost for me. I imagine there would be hourly diagnostics for this but arguably AOA should cover under a TSB if enough customers are having this issue. where do you live?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@ J Sonel...

Sweet example of a 80/90/S2 Coupe Quattro. Man I miss my 90.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
Dealer is doing it. I imagine it requires removal of the control units and some sort of hookup to VAGCOM. Or maybe not. I'm under CPO so there is no cost for me. I imagine there would be hourly diagnostics for this but arguably AOA should cover under a TSB if enough customers are having this issue. where do you live?
Birmingham, AL
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmillerau
Birmingham, AL
Oh I was gonna suggest the dealer I use. I'm in Northwest Indiana. Hope all works out for you.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Search for adaptive transmission learning reset. I can't recall exactly how to do it. Someone had a way to do it with the gas pedal I think. There might be a VCDS reset for it also also. Good to try that first and see if it helps.
Thanks, I found a thread where it mentions either disconnecting the battery, or pushing down the gas pedal for 5 seconds with the ignition on but with the car not running.

My car is going to my mechanic for an oil change tomorrow, I'll have him do some vagcom research and see if anything pops up.

Quick Reply: A6 3.2 3rd gear slippage...