A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 3.2 Disappointing First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 3.2 Disappointing First Drive

There is no doubt that this is a very high quality car. Everything was very well put together. However, the first thing we noticed was how noisy the engine was.

As we eased off the lot, we were surprised how loud the engine sounded - as though there was something resonating in the exhaust system. As we accelerated away smoothly, the engine sounded simply Loud and coarse - it was not a very smooth sound, it felt like the engine was slightly missing a beat at all revs. When we returned from the drive and stopped on the lot, we could clearly hear the gruff engine note piercing the cabin. I did get into another 3.2 and just started the engine, then blipped the throttle - it was much smoother but was still too noisy. (We had been driving a V6 Pontiac Grand Am rental).

I was also immediately aware of a lag in the acceleration (transmission in D). It was not as bad as on my 2001 A6 2.7T but it was there. This lag or hesitation was apparent whenever I accelerated - same for my wife. Are we forever doomed!!

Though the interior was nicely put together, we didn't think it was as nice to look at as our old navy/vanilla interior. Anyway, this is subjective. The Platinum looked almost plain gray. The cream beige looked very sophisticated but the thought of cleaning up constantly after my two young kids put me off. The beech(?) wood on the center console looked very garish next to the cream beige. I like the lighter wood.

There are of course no tip buttons on the steering wheel. These were so intuitive to use - I remember a test drive in an A4 three years ago with this type of steering wheel. Excellent man-machine interface!!

We noted that the suspension had the right amount of firmness - and there was little or no wallowing around the turns and bends. The car was not equipped with sports suspension. I did read that the suspension was too firm but was just right for us.

The brakes were very nice - nice progressive feel. So was the steering - much better than my old 2001 A6.

Engine performance was acceptable. I did expect less - the turbo punch is absent, of course. I did not press the car much as it had only 18 miles on the odo. The hesitation just kills the enjoyment of driving the car. Otherwise it is a superb car.

On the highway, wind noise was noticably less than on the old car. At cruise, the engine note is hushed.

I'll be giving the MMI **** a miss and use the steering wheel mounted ***** instead.

I just read that VW will be putting a 3.2 engine into the new Passat (here next fall). Is this the same 3.2 FSI that is in the new A6? If it is, then what is the point of buying an Audi? Come on Audi.

I would appreciate hearing about others' experience, especially engine noise and hesitation. There are other cars that have the NVH licked (Acura RL for one.)
Old 12-20-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Didn't notice the V6 being that bad

Just as input, I test drove a 3.2 for about half an hour, then the 4.2 which I bought. We drove on a fast yet crowded expressway, then on city streets, then on bumpy back streets. Over some railroad tracks a few times.

I definitely thought the V8 was smoother than the V6, but that's generally expected. It might be my imagination, but the acceleration advantage in the V8 seemed definitely noticable. I can't however say I thought the V6 was as noisy as your experience.

Also didn't notice severe lag; as I posted earlier (particularly with the V8), I felt the transmission is much smooth and faster than my old automatic M3.

Hopefully your dealership didn't get a batch of bad gasoline that will be turning off a bunch of would-be Audi owners.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the Passat V6 will be a transverse VR6

not this engine.

and, btw, both the 3.2 and the 4.2 made Ward's 1Top 10 Engines list for 2005. Either there is something wrong with the car you drove, or the engine needs a couple of more miles to break in.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/news/04/121404/content.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/news/04/121404/content.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 12-21-2004, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default I kind of liked it

It was nice to have an engine that you could actually hear. We'd just driven an A4 3.0 before we drove the A6 and found it totally uninspiring. For that matter, I like the A6 3.2 sound a lot better than the wife's TT 3.2.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Noted.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Didn't notice the V6 being that bad

I found there to be lag in both the V8 and V6. The difference is that when the V6 shifted into 2d, I felt power, but when the V8 shifted, I landed in the trunk.

Kinda cool, but I opted for the V6 in the end. It's still a huge step up from my 190hp A4 2.8.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I agree with the comment on the Passat

I don't know why VW continues to pollute the Audi brand by cross pollinating parts/engines into VW. I think its one of the biggest problems with Audi when cross shopping Audi, BMW and Mercedes brands.

I actually like the sound of the engine (3.2). Coming from a '01 2.7T when hardly any engine/muffler noise I think it gives a more sporty flare. However, its certainly louder than BMW 5 or Merc E so probably a matter of personal preference.

You might also want to try the car in "S" mode rather than "D". Sport mode holds the gears longer and always starts in 1st gear. In "D" the transmission seems (for me at least) to sometime hunt around for the right gear and producing some lag you might be referring to.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you let the car warm up before stepping on it? how cold was it outside?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct on both counts :-)
Old 12-21-2004, 09:21 AM

Default The Passat issue is even more significant. It will be a 3.6 VR6 with 280hp.

VW wants to match the power of the Maxima/Altima, Acura TL and Honda Accord with this Passat, so the the US will get a special larger 3.6 VR6 with 280hp. Europe gets a 3.2 with 250hp.

It does seem an odd choice since the two designs look similar and the A6 will have 25 less hp but cost more.

Quick Reply: A6 3.2 Disappointing First Drive