A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Is this AMI suitable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this AMI suitable?

Hi all, I am new to this retrofitting stuff but my goal is to get some Bluetooth streaming on my 2008 A6 2.0 TDi Limited Edition. It has the more basic MMi option, but is colour, has the sat nav etc, cd changer. Is it the AMi with the part number 4E0035785 that I need to install to get this functionality? I have seen a few others dotted around with the same prefix of numbers but with letters on the end, are any of these compatible, for instance 4E0035785 F or A. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if I have this all wrong!
Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any letter suffix should be OK. The higher the letter, the newer the unit. As long as the number part is what you listed, you'll be fine.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had bought a couple of items to add to my 2006 A6 last year and this weekend finally got around to adding them.

1. A backup camera module (Audi MMI 2G HIGH rearview camera module) and sony ccd camera in Audi trunk handle.
2. A Media gateway (Dension 500 Gateway) which gives me ipod/usb and bluetooth options.

The backup camera plugged into the AMI connector and I bought the license plate backup camera which replaces your handle.
Installation couldn't have been easier, a few bolts and the entire glovebox drops down. I grabbed power from the backup light for the camera and filtered it to avoid noise in the picture.

It turned out really good. And was easy!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the backup module and camera? And when you say it plugs into the AMI unit, where exactly? In the back of the unit or inline with the cable coming out the front? Or did you mean that it plugs into the Dension?
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sharkwood
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the backup module and camera? And when you say it plugs into the AMI unit, where exactly? In the back of the unit or inline with the cable coming out the front? Or did you mean that it plugs into the Dension?
Thanks!
I used this one. Which replaces the entire piece. It looks 100% factory.

$41 on ebay Search for 'Audi A3 A6L A8L Car Trunk Handle Backup Camera CCDSony Parking Assisitance'

And the electronics to go with that:

$135 from Germany on Ebay. Search 'Audi MMI 2G HIGH rearview camera module adapter harness for Audi A4 A5 A6 A8'

Pull the glovebox (a few small bolts hold it in and up.) and it drops right down. The AMI module is directly above that and you remove the factory cable, plug in the cable hanging off the backup module so it is between the backup.
When you run the wires back to the camera you MUST isolate the power with filters or you will get interference. I used a couple of:
PAC CSS12 Passive Noise Filters

$13 on Amazon.

I pull power from the backup light in the rear for power to the camera when backing up and also sending power to the backup unit up front to turn on the backup unit. I also filtered my Dension as well. It plugs into the MOST (Media Oriented System Transport) cable. It looks a little intemidating but was very easy to install. You simple remove one side of the MOST connector and slip one of the MOST cable into the existing and which creates a Y and allows it all to plug in. The Dension could probably go in the trunk as well.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is really helpful.

How is the resolution and picture when using the camera with the standard screen that came with the car?

Is your A6 a Sedan or an Avant ?
Old 09-13-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeffpuxx
This is really helpful.

How is the resolution and picture when using the camera with the standard screen that came with the car?

It is a Sedan. It looks GREAT.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeffpuxx
This is really helpful.

Label comes on for a few seconds and then goes away. Says REAR CAMERA

Old 09-13-2018, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting!! The image looks better than I expected.

I just have to compare the Sedan vs Avant trunk handle as I have an avant.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for posting the details! I'm going to look into that.

Quick Reply: Is this AMI suitable?