A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Another oil leak thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Another oil leak thread...

Just for a change, it's a thread about an oil leak....

3.2 BKH Engine, there is a thick pipe which couples with the cover at the front end of the camshaft on the passenger side. I tried to get a picture but it's a bit tight there. Please look towards the top left of the photo. That thick pipe turns vertical and heads downwards then connects with the cover which I'm calling camshaft cover (but I could be wrong). Around that union you can see the oil has been leaking then running down the front side of the engine. It's been doing it for a while - I probably should have dealt with it sooner.

Can snyone clarify what the pipe is, what the cover it connects to is, and what the best remedial action would be? I don't want to just grab it and pull it off without knowing what it is, or whether there is a trick to removing it. Would just taking it off and putting it back fix the leak or is a new pipe, gasket or other approach required?

Thanks for any info

Last edited by Sverige; 10-20-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Some hopefully better pictures attached. I've circled the joint which is leaking.

Can anyone help identify this connection's function? It looks like an oil breather into the top of the canshaft cover but I'm not clear on what's behind the small cylindrical casing to which this pipe is joined. There seems to be a latching connector used but it's not easy to see how to release it, or whether it's safe to do so (will oil come flooding out?)

any info appreciated. This is the front left side of the engine (as you stand facing the engine from the front. Just below the air intake funnel.

Last edited by Sverige; 10-27-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That part is vacuum pump for your brake booster. There is no oil in it so most likely oil from valve cover gasket (camshaft cover) or anywhere else...The clamp holding that hose is the same like the one on the other end as you can see on your picture. I would just clean it with brake parts cleaner and not to worry about it.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Nurke, I'll clean it up as a first step and then keep checking to see if I can find where the oil is coming from. There's quite a considerable amount which has flowed all the way down to the undertray, covering the various components as it flowed vertically downwards and that hose junction is the highest point to have oil on it. Could the oil be coming out the top of the brake vacuum pump?

EDIT: I found this YouTube vid showing removal and disassembly of the vacuum pump and it it full of oil. I think that vid might be from a different engine but guess the pump works similarly. What do you think?

Last edited by Sverige; 10-29-2018 at 12:16 AM.