A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

BlackBerry Pearl with MMI

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BlackBerry Pearl with MMI

I have just connected my BlackBerry Pearl through MMI and both the phonebook and the directory are available. The Dialled calls and Received calls always reset to empty whenever the phone is disconnected, but remembers both dialled and received calls all the time the phone is connected.

Anyone know of a fix for this? Maybe along the same lines as JetWare Mobile for Windows smartphones?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think that is the way it works...

The MMI on my S6 does the same thing; though it doesn't download more than few phonebook entries off my Treo 650. The missed, dialed and received calls are all uploaded each time I connect. I think I remember the manual saying that this is how it is designed. The directory is something you input using the MMI of the car. I don't think that is something uploaded from your phone like the phonebook. I'm envious that your BB can upload its whole phonebook. I ended up just manually creating a directory for the numbers I needed.

For some reason, the Treo crashes anytime I have more than 6 speed dial numbers trying to upload to the MMI. Six numbers is fine...more always crashes the system. Turned out fine by creating my own directory for the car. I also recorded voice commands for those numbers as I created them. That is working really well so far.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Cat Herder

working as designed.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Cat Herder

you can import into the Directory from the Phonebook, although some editing is often required after.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My problem is that the Treo 650 won't upload more than a few phone book names..

without crashing. If I keep it at 8 names, it seems to work fine. More than that is a problem. I'm certainly open to ideas!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Cat Herder

Default careful...

'upload' = 'import' = Directory != Phonebook.

If you're having phonebook access problems, that's one issue. If you can't import your Phonebook entries into the MMI Directory, that's another.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm. When I start the car and the Treo pairs with it , the Treo's speed dial numbers are

"uploaded" into the Phonebook category in the MMI. There are 70 speed dials in the Treo. I can only get about 8 to transfer to the MMI before the Treo will freeze and lose its connection to the car.

That category as well as the Dialed Numbers, Received Calls and Missed Calls are all uploaded to the MMI whenever I start the car while the phone is with me. They blank out when I turn off and get out of the car. The Directory listings stay in that memory (of MMI) at all times. I have been manually entering Directory names as I get the chance. I have not learned any way to get the Treo to upload its Contact listings (with hundreds of names) to the Directory or for the MMI Directory to "import" any number of names from the Treo.

I have read elsewhere that the Treo has problems transferring the Directory (Contacts) names but usually can transfer the all its Speed Dial names from the Treo to the Phonebook. I have a Verizon CDMA Treo which has its own "issues" thus the apparent limit on only 8 speed dials being transferred.

If I am missing something that would allow the transfer of more names from my phone to the MMI system I'd be grateful for any guidance.

All that said, the MMI works wonderfully and, to me, is the state of the art, certainly among the German car makers. I wish the NAV maps were more along Lexus/Honda/Nissan levels, but they work to get me where I am going. I love to drive this car!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Cat Herder

Default the BT module in your car is establishing a live link to the phone's contents as best it can.

The phone's phonebook and other things (dialed, missed, etc.) are accessed in realtime.

Do Name/Import and see what you get. That's what allows transfer to the MMI Directory.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tried the "import" idea too. all that happened is that it tried to

import the names in the "Phone Book". Those names are limited to 8 "realtime" transfers from the Treo's speed dial buttons. If I try any more than that the Treo freezes and loses the MMI connection.

At this point, it's not that big a deal since the Treo is up for replacement in 2 months. In the meantime, I am manually inputting names/numbers into the Name Directory as I get the chance. I just grab the number from the "dialed numbers" or other real time uploaded numbers and add the relevant information. Other than that, the Treo works pretty well. Great audio quality and holds the BT connection consistently.

I will be looking for ideas here and elsewhere about the best replacement for the Treo over the next few weeks. I am currently a Verizon Wireless customer and have a feeling that will limit my choices since VZW disables so many features of its phones. Perhaps I will be a candidate for an unlocked GSM Treo or BB with another carrier.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Cat Herder

I haven't tried one of our Cingular BBs in a while, but the 8700s seem nice enough.