A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

C6 A6 Avant power tailgate, issues while closing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have had problems with opening the lid? On my '06 A6 Avant it doesn't open when I don't lift it with hand, just raising it about 8 inches and then it opens nicely. I have changed the gas shocks but it didn't help at all.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same issue with the opening. It doesn't happen very often so I never looked into it, but what has happened also is the child lock button on the drivers door doesn't work now and the orange light stays lit.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't know if the two are related. Can you disconnect the battery to reset the system?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kristo
Does anyone have had problems with opening the lid? On my '06 A6 Avant it doesn't open when I don't lift it with hand, just raising it about 8 inches and then it opens nicely. I have changed the gas shocks but it didn't help at all.

Does this help -

or this -

Last edited by royclark; 04-28-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Videos are showing how to save the position of the tailgate. Tried to repogram it to, programming seems to work but again, the tailgate won't open automatically unless I won't help it by raising it a littlebit.
I read about the motors which seems to be magnetic motors so basically there are no contacts which can give poor connection or something. I don't get it, why the door won't open itself. It might be that there are some connection problem somewhere else which is causing for example voltage drop so the motors aren't so powerful as they should be.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Videos are showing how to save the position of the tailgate. Tried to repogram it to, programming seems to work but again, the tailgate won't open automatically unless I won't help it by raising it a littlebit.
I read about the motors which seems to be magnetic motors so basically there are no contacts which can give poor connection or something. I don't get it, why the door won't open itself. It might be that there are some connection problem somewhere else which is causing for example voltage drop so the motors aren't so powerful as they should be.

Do you have any fault codes ?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No fault codes stored. My friend suggested to get some other gas struts with greater Nm number, but I don't think it's the case.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Actually there was a fault code once, but it hadn't appeared after that:

00317 - Rear Lid Control Module (J605)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 109
Mileage: 261253 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.04.01
Time: 09:51:32

Trying to change the motor itself someday. I'll let you know if it helped or not.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny to see this today. Just dropped my '08 Avant off at the dealer ti fix the rear hatch.

It would close, but not catch completely. It would come out by about 1/8". Sometimes it would catch correctly, most times not.

I'll try to remember to post what the dealer comes back with tomorrow. It's still covered by the CPO.

Eric
Old 01-01-2014, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm having the same problem. Also have an '06 A6 Avant. When I open the rear lid with the remote, it just opens an inch or so and stops, and will then only close. If I "help" it a few inches, with steady pressure, it opens completely. It closes normally.

The dealer told me that both motors need to be replaced, at $600 each plus labor. I don't really believe him.

I had the TSB work done back when it was announced a few years ago, but this only started happening recently.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Quick Reply: C6 A6 Avant power tailgate, issues while closing