A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

design flaw/wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default design flaw/wipers

Today in the rain I noticed the wiper system has a design flaw. If you set the wipers in the slow position and stop the car, they automatically slow down and go into intermittent/rain sensor mode. So here's what happened to me. It's raining a combo of rain and big wet snowflakes and I put the wipers in slow position. I stop at a red light and the wipers stop because they switched down to the intermittent stage. The light turns green, the wipers have not yet activated and I can't see the road or the green light through the raindrops and big fat wet snowflakes on the windshield. I have to reset the wipers to the fast position before taking off, so I can see again. Are they kidding me?

There also seems to be a streaky film on the windshield. I've cleaned the blades and used windex and rubbing alcohol on the glass but it's still there. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: design flaw/wipers

So far I have not driven in the snow or snowstorm yet but noticed the same streaky film on part of the windscreen in the rain. Cleaned the car, windscreen and wipers last weekend but have not gone in the rain since.

I used the rain sensing mode switched to the slowest interval and it seems to work on heavy rain, rain, shower or drizzle quite well. Any mode faster than slowest was too frequent wipes for me.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

In rain sensor position, the slowest interval wasn't good at all, in the fastest it was okay. Maybe my sensor needs to be made more sensitive. But what about snow? In fact I'd rather not have rain sensor at all. Plain old intermittents work fine for me. I know one day I'll be watching my car going through a car wash, my wipers blades flapping away and then snapping off.

My beef is also in the next mode, one up from rain sensor. Try it out and you'll see what I'm talking about. When you stop the car the wipers automatically go into sensor mode-very dangerous if you can't see.

Either way we should be able to control the wiper speeds to what we like, and it should not change when we slow down or stop the car.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:53 PM

Re: Agreed on it shouldn't switch over.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't drive your pretty new A6 in rain or snow.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I remember something about using lemon juice...

on the windshield to reduce streaking. Also some people like to clean the windshield with newspaper. I cleaned my WS with a Windex wipe this weekend and that was a mistake. I find that cleaning products contribute to streaking.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I read in the owner's manual that the wipers switch to the next lower setting when the car is standing still, I thought that it was a good idea. I never thought of the scenario you encountered and you are correct in your assessment. Actually, my wife went out in the Audi this morning and here in the NYC suburbs it has been sleeting. I'll have to advise her to change the windshield wiper setting when driving in snow or sleet, although she may have figured it after stopping at a light.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

a shot of tequila, a hit of salt and -voilą!- your windshield is clear as a bell.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Re: a shot of tequila

Seriously, between the streaking and the wipers not doing their job right, it's a little ridiculous.
I think I need new "rubbers" instead of the blades they are using.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My E320 was the same way

The OEM blades were terrible. Bosch Microedge blades fixed the problem. At this point, I'm guess it's the rubber because I'm seeing the same thing (although to a minor degree).

Quick Reply: design flaw/wipers