A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

DIS displays "SDARS" instead of "XM" and XM presets are greyed out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIS displays "SDARS" instead of "XM" and XM presets are greyed out?

Periodically, when I'm listening to XM, the car will display "SDARS" in the DIS source area instead of "XM," and my presets will all be greyed out. The master station list stays functional, and I can pick and listen to any channel just fine from there. Every other source - CD, AM/FM, etc. - continue to work completely fine. This'll happen from a start and continue - all the way through my drive - until I stop the car and revisit some time later.

Has anyone else experienced this? I mentioned it to the dealer once and they were quick to blame it on XM. But, with such a small part of the functionality disabled (the source name displaying the generic SDARS, and just the presets greyed out and un-selectable), I'm suspect that it's XM, and perhaps the issue lies within the module. My warranty goes out soon and I want to catch and eradicate this potential snowball if possible.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just the other day, after 5 months of constant XM use without any issues, my XM presets were greyed out. I was able to continue listening to XM, and advance to the next channel, but could not use the presets. I did not notice an SDARS in the display. The next time I started the car, everything was back to normal. I suspect the XM satellite signal, and not the MMI, after hearing about your issues. Keep us posted if you find a cause.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swhite63
Just the other day, after 5 months of constant XM use without any issues, my XM presets were greyed out. I was able to continue listening to XM, and advance to the next channel, but could not use the presets. I did not notice an SDARS in the display. The next time I started the car, everything was back to normal. I suspect the XM satellite signal, and not the MMI, after hearing about your issues. Keep us posted if you find a cause.
i canceled my XM recently but had it since i got the car in 06.. i would have this problem intermittently every couple months but it would go away on it's own (then come back)... i don't think it ever stayed, meaning i couldn't replicate it at the dealer... thus i think it had to do with the signal as well.. not sure though