A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No crank after timing

Good afternoon,

I have a 2008 A6 C6 3.2 @ 117k

This past weekend I manged to find some time and replaced the upper chain tensioners. I've been having an issue with timing the tensioners and finally manged to get organized and complete the job. After running VCDS I was reading about on 0.0 and -0.1 adjustment on Banks 1 and 2 so the timing was in check. I drove the car into town and back about 15 miles and the car was running running perfect, plenty of power etc. Once I got back home I shut the engine off to get ready for a final oil change and thats whens my nightmare occurred. My car wont start! There is no crank or turn over. I'm still able to turn the key however and power the electronics, lights, MMI, windows, radio etc. When I turn the key to start nothing happens.

I didn't see anything major on my VCDS scan and have attached scan / log.
I believe this is now an electronics issue.

Please help I'm very desperate

Thanks,

Karl
Old 03-31-2019, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The battery quiescent current faults in that scan and the lack of crank both suggest the battery needs a charge. Try that, it might fix things.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sverige,

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, The battery is the first item I checked. Its a brand new battery I connected to the charger still gave me no good results. Afterwards I set the charger to cold start 200 amps and absolutely nothing. All the electronics are definitely getting power so that rules the battery out...
Old 04-01-2019, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, unfortunately I don’t know what the problem might be. I’d suggest starting a new thread on the forum with the vcds scan attached, as you may get more response that way.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lagurdia
Good afternoon,

I have a 2008 A6 C6 3.2 @ 117k

This past weekend I manged to find some time and replaced the upper chain tensioners. I've been having an issue with timing the tensioners and finally manged to get organized and complete the job. After running VCDS I was reading about on 0.0 and -0.1 adjustment on Banks 1 and 2 so the timing was in check. I drove the car into town and back about 15 miles and the car was running running perfect, plenty of power etc. Once I got back home I shut the engine off to get ready for a final oil change and thats whens my nightmare occurred. My car wont start! There is no crank or turn over. I'm still able to turn the key however and power the electronics, lights, MMI, windows, radio etc. When I turn the key to start nothing happens.

I didn't see anything major on my VCDS scan and have attached scan / log.
I believe this is now an electronics issue.

Please help I'm very desperate

Thanks,

Karl
odd....maybe starter relay gave up?...soo no click nada from starter when u turn key?
yeah as "Sverige" said start new thread!..
cheers!/H
Old 04-13-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reuse camshaft adjuster bolts

I noticed on the edge motors video they mention using new bolts to install the camshaft adjusters. Also the eBahn manual mentions this. I haven't noticed that being done in this thread. Can the old bolts be reused? Does anyone know where to get them?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Per the Bentley Repair manual, the bolts should be replace because they are stretched when tightened to the proper torque value + 90 degrees. You can obtain them from any on-line dealer.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by parrs
I noticed on the edge motors video they mention using new bolts to install the camshaft adjusters. Also the eBahn manual mentions this. I haven't noticed that being done in this thread. Can the old bolts be reused? Does anyone know where to get them?
I did not replace the bolts. I torqued them to the spec and they are tight. I cant imagine them ever coming out.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Actually i think he only used new bolts on the valve covers. Not the adjusters. I cant remember.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default camshaft adjuster bolts

I kind of expected the answers I got! By the book -"replace them" and real world - "I torqued them up and they were fine". Both answers are probably correct. Main thing I was worried about is the bolt head snapping off on the second torquing.

I checked at the local dealer and they wanted about twelve dollars a bolt which meant I was going "real world" then I checked ECStuning and they wanted about $4.50 so I guess I'll go by the book although my gut tells me I would have no problem with the old ones.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions before I tackle this.

Quick Reply: DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement