A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see any marks on the crankshaft pulley only a hole drilled on one side. Any other ideas how to get it back in time. Right side chain feels tight but when I try to turn crank chain sloops a tooth. Ps does the engine turn only clockwise?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

*chain skips not sloops sorry
Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clevercrow
I don't see any marks on the crankshaft pulley only a hole drilled on one side. Any other ideas how to get it back in time. Right side chain feels tight but when I try to turn crank chain sloops a tooth. Ps does the engine turn only clockwise?
I don't recall specifically, but I was able to wiggle it back and forth to get it aligned. This is a hydraulic tensioner that uses engine oil presure for tension, I suspect the engine is designed to rotate only clockwise. By hand cranking it so many times around, it may have lost timing as the tensioner can not provide enough pressure rotating backwards. I'd consider popping the cams at this point and using the engine locking pin, I don't know of any other means to get the engine to TDC on the proper stroke. You can use the spark plug hole and feel the piston but I wouldn't really bet on that being totally accurate. If the right side is only off by a few teeth, leave that chain on. Pop the cams on the left side. get the right side as close as you can with the locking holes up and see if you can get that locking pin in. It's gonna be a bitch as it's really tight in there. Sorry you're having all these problems, I've had a few people PM that have successfully done it. That's why I recommend locking both sides in the origional post. I didn't realize you were having driveability problems (skipped timing) when you started doing it. good luck.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I put everything together and start a car. Engine still little rough, and I got 1 cylinder misfire. I stop the car, pull the cover off and now my timing off again on the same bank. I set it again, close all covers and when tryed to start again it make some weird noise off the engine. I'm stuck, don't know what else can I do.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cadillacby
I put everything together and start a car. Engine still little rough, and I got 1 cylinder misfire. I stop the car, pull the cover off and now my timing off again on the same bank. I set it again, close all covers and when tryed to start again it make some weird noise off the engine. I'm stuck, don't know what else can I do.
Did you set timing by locking both sides? If your timing is set, you may try to do a compression test to see if you have valve damage.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mkongsiri
So you're saying the right side chain has skipped? Is there tension on the right chain now? If the right side has skipped, your engine is out of time. Without knowing the position of your crankshaft now, you may have a problem on your hands. I didnt see any timing marks on my crankshaft either but 4driver4 says the Bentley
manual refers to one. You'll have to see if you can locate it if the right side is now out of whack. I dont know what could be causing the resistance are feeling.
I was to Audi dealer and They dont find anything wrong. Noice, sound ok. Litle vibrarion when start up cold engine. There was no fault codes when scan. 105 k is car gone now. I will take the chance to travel ,trip Europe this week, i can not be sure if i get some problem. I would like to change the transmission oil, but dealer say. Wasted money, and i can get problem after with new oil. 2000$ is the , cost for oil Lifetime oil ZF incl job. The coil pack and fuel filter is new Now. Hope the best for the Trip. Clima Here is medium 10-celsius, so i think That is not Canada weather
Old 06-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Guys, just ordered crank locking pin thing but I cannot find where the pin is supposed to be inserted or any directions on line. can you guys direct me to where the pin goes in and how it locks the crank? any help would be great. Thanks
Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Guys, just ordered crank locking pin thing but I cannot find where the pin is supposed to be inserted or any directions on line. can you guys direct me to where the pin goes in and how it locks the crank? any help would be great. Thanks
Its on the engine block on the drivers side behind the front mount if I recall correctly. There's a cover plate on the access hole that takes a hex (6mm?). Its tough to locate. Im at the beach right now but when I get back, ill post the illustration from the factory manual.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

here you go:
– Unscrew plug -arrow- from cylinder block.
– Screw locking pin -T40069- into bore -1- (tightening torque: 10 Nm); if necessary, turn crankshaft backwards and forwards slightly to fully centralise locking pin.
Attached Images   
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome thankyou

Quick Reply: DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement