A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

DIY: Streaming Bluetooth Music via MMI

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY: Streaming Bluetooth Music via MMI

As always, do this at your own risk. I am simply documenting below, what i did to install this system in my 2007 S6. If you mess up your car, it's not my fault.

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted. As promised, here is a writeup on installing the three items necessary to get streaming bluetooth audio through your MMI. Note that some people are reporting that very early versions of the MMI are not able to digest the xcarlink and the mmi is crashing.

I am updated to 41.40, via pierreb's thread here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2607361

First, Buy the parts, about $150 or so total

Xcarlink AUX IN MMI interface: http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...1&cat=0&page=1
Hardwire mini USB power adapter:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...SID=egl83zy15w
Blackberry Music Gateway: This works with any a2dp device, not just Blackberries.
Amazon Amazon
3.5mm to RCA Y adapter - Some bb gateways come with this, some dont. Available at radio shack.

Now for the fun part:

1) Drop the glovebox. This requires first removing the fuse panel on the right side of the dash, then removing 5 8mm screws. There are three screws under the top edge, accessible when opened, and another two underneath, towards the firewall.

2) Disconnect The Glove box by unclipping the wiring harness on the top

3) Disconnect the CD changer by unclipping the two harnesses from the back

4) Set the glove box aside

5) Make note of which line is "in" and which line is "out". You can do this by observing the arrows on the harness. "In" is the side with the arrows pointing towards the CD Changer, "Out" is the other side.

If you would like for the xcarlink to be disc 1, and your changer to be discs 7-12, then remove the "In" wire.

If you would like for the xcarlink to be disc 7, and your CD changer to be discs 1-6, then remove the "out" wire.

Remove your chosen fiber optic line from the CD changer harness. This is accomplished by first pushing the blue clip out of the plug. Use a small screw driver and eject it by pressing it upwards.

Then gently pull up on the clip holding the line in place and remove the "out" line.

6) Take the fiber optic line that is now free and plug it into the fiber optic adapter supplied with the XCarlink

7) Take the other end of the xcarlink adapter and put it into the CD Changer harness. Replace the blue clip. The MMI fiber optic connections are now complete.

8) Get the USB hardwire adapter, and strip the end of the two wires. Then strip the wires for the xcarlink power adapter.

Twist the black wires from each together, and feed them through the back of the fuse panel. Attach the ground wires by loosening the 8mm bolt in the fusebox, wrapping the black wires around it, then tightening them.

Twist the yellow and red wires together and tap them into a switched supply in the fuse box. The picture shows my electrical connections. I may change which fuse is tapped... I need to research the fusebox a bit more. The xcarlink should technically be on a constant circuit, it custs down on the MMI bootup delay.

9) Connect the 3.5mm to RCA cable to the AUX 1 port on the xcarlink. Connect an ipod cable (if desired) to the Aux 2 port. Connect any other audio sources as needed

10) Tuck the Xcarlink behind the large harness on the right, wire tie the cables so they are out of the way. BE CAREFUL not to pinch the fiber optic lines.

11) Feed the usb power, and your audio cables into the glovebox

12) reconnect glove box, and CD changer.

13) Test the system - MEDIA should now be an option as a disc in your MMI, and there are 4 "Tracks" on that "Disc" - One for each input on the XCarlink. Your CD changer should also be available.

14) Reinstall glove box and fuse panel

15) Sync your phone to the gateway, per the instructions in the Blackberry gateway manual.

16)
Enjoy the music!!!

Last edited by sgroer; 09-20-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first 2 links didn't work. Can you post model numbers..etc? This looks awesome and something I really want to do for my car.

Nice work and details by the way.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What happens when you get a call?

Does the bluetooth link to both the cars telephone as well as the music simultaneously? Will it pause the music to allow you to answer the call via the MMI? thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fe342185
Does the bluetooth link to both the cars telephone as well as the music simultaneously? Will it pause the music to allow you to answer the call via the MMI? thanks for the info.
Yes... you can have both phone and audio, and the music pauses when the phone rings...
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nutz
The first 2 links didn't work. Can you post model numbers..etc? This looks awesome and something I really want to do for my car.

Nice work and details by the way.
Thanks
I fixed the links... Thanks for pointing this out.

Once working it's a fabulous setup.

Last edited by sgroer; 09-20-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
Thanks
I fixed the links... looks like overstock doesn't carry the USB adapter anymore. i found something similar on Amazon and updated the links.

Once working it's a fabulous setup.
I just bought the USB adapter from Overstock last week....... guess they are all gone.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...SID=egl83zy15w
Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up and great location for the power source. I tied my power source to the upper dash bar.

I connected the power source to an open fuse slot for (Air Suspension) which I don't have so I figure it should be safe to tap into it. Both lines to xcarlink and BB power source are fused for protection.

Last edited by jujuC6; 09-20-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. Are you still enjoying the system? Working ok?

Quick Reply: DIY: Streaming Bluetooth Music via MMI