A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A few questions from an "almost" owner.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Voice is mandatory, here is your phone cradle answer. . .

. . .if you have a Sony T630 or T637 phone, for instance, Audi has an in armrest cradle for the phone ($256.00) -- when the phone is in the docking station the phone gets its power from the car battery and the phone remains charged.

So far, why bother, hmmm?

Bluetooth is great, don't get me wrong. But when you use one of these new phones inside the car with the bluetooth comm on, the phone supplies the antenna. The phone is INSIDE glass, steel, plastic, aluminum, leather, etc.

When the phone is in the Audi cradle, the bluetooth can be turned off or left on, it doesn't matter (Bluetooth uses more juice.)

But, the antenna is moved to the roof of the car, outside the car and dropouts are minimized significantly over the phone when used inside the car without an external antenna.

Here in Cincinnati, the Sony T637 phone WAS $99; it is less as I recall. There are no phonebook mating issues and here in Cincinnati there are no contracts on wireless phones if your carrier is Cincinnati Bell (which used to be AT&T, so perhaps this 30 day cancellation deal applies elsewhere.)

The phone will work in Europe, and if you want you can leave one phone in your car and buy a second phone (even a Blackberry) and simply transfer the SIM chip between the two phones.

We bought two Sony phones and one Blackberry. We put one phone in the Bimmer and one in the Audi and we move the SIM chip when we deem it appropriate or necessary to maitain continuity of phone number.

Now that I have the phone cradle, I could give a care if I ever had bluetooth since my reception is so much better with the Audi antenna rather than the phone's own antenna.

And for $256 it is only a little outrageously priced.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Voice

Voice controls the telephone, navigation and sound system.

You say: Telephone

Audi says: "Telephone"

You: Dial number

Audi: "The number please"

You: 555-1212

Audi: "555-1212, please continue"

You: Dial

Audi: "The number is being dialed."

=====

You say: Navigation

Audi says: "Navigation"

You: Navigate to home

Audi: "Would you like to navigate to the indicated desitnation?"

You: Yes, hell yes, why yes I would, thank you or anything just as long as the word "yes" is buried in your reply.

===

You: CD

Audi: "CD"

You: Play CD 1

Audi: "Changing to CD 1"

You: Play track 3

Audi: "Changing to track 3"

You: Next track, previous track, CD 6, etc

Audi: responds in kind

You: Save name "Cold Play"

Audi: "Say again, bub"

You: "Cold Play"

Audi: "I'm busy now, but call me later"

Later

You: CD

Audi: "CD"

You: Play Cold Play

Audi: "Changing to CD Cold Play" (I said call me later.)

Etc.

You: Radio

Audi: "Radio"

You: Play ninety-point-nine megaheartz

Audi: "Chaniging to. . .

You: Save "Classic Vinyl"

Audi: Say again, bastard

You: I said "Classic Vinyl" bitch

You: Radio

Audi: "Radio"

You: Play Classic Vinyl (if you really did say bitch initially, well, have at it and say it again.)

Audi: "Changing to Classic Vinyl Bitch"

And so on.

You are limited to 25 entries -- NOW THAT's A bitch since I have AM, FM and Sirius and I filled it up right away. If you asked me, it should go to 99 entries which would cost about $1.00 worth of chip memory space (if that.)

Navigation allows you to say:

Last desintations and the MMI screen will display all the places you've been and if you see where you want to go you say, "5" or "number 5" and the fifth entry on the screen is populated into the Navi system and then you are asked "do you want to navigate to the indicated destination?" and you say yes or no.

If what you want isn't on the screen you say, next or previous page and if there is one it will show you more entries.

If you want to go to a brand new place, there IS NO direct voice command to enter it.

Either you have saved it previously with a name tag or your dial it in and the damn thing just remembers everywhere you've been for a long long time.

You can say: zoom in, zoom out, scale 1 mile, and several more commands that alter the way the navisystem does things or is a direct command.

You can say special destinations and have it find the nearest Audi dealer -- woo woo.

It is very cool and unfortunately somewhat limited, but hell, there are 82 controls and dials and such staring at you whilst you are behind the wheel -- I consider the voice command a safety and convenience feature.

The Advance key is nice, but it is so overpriced it is a joke. I wish they would charge $750 for the voice option and give you about 100 more commands. I know, bitch bitch bitch.

Advanced key should be "included" in the price if you asked me. But I like it.

You: Ejection

Audi: "Ejection"

You: Passenger seat

Audi: "Good-bye passenger"

Sproinggggggg!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Goes into the arm rest, close cover, and it is invisible. . .
Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone once hooked up a universal phone cradle adapter from

radio shack. I once tried to find one but couldn't. Anyone remember?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Too funny! Don't forget the smoke screen and oil slick getaway commands!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What ever phone you get..DO NOT GET THE BLACKBERRY..

It depends on the Model and provider. I have the 7290 from cingular and with an upgrade to Blackberry OS 4.1 I get full functionality with the phonebook transfer.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default IMHO, 650 is a much better phone. It has also much better screen resolution (320x320) vs. 700w.....

(240x240). Palm OS is also more stable than Windows Moible OS at current time. THe only upside for 700w are: EvDO for data (vs. 1xRTT on 650). Better camera resolution than 650. To me, those enhancements are minor. I need a phone for the most of part, not surf the web on the phone all the time, nor taking picture all day long :-)
Old 03-21-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Re: IMHO, 650 is a much better phone. It has also much better screen resolution (320x320) vs. 700w..

I see you have Atlas Grey, do you have any pictures? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I will take some picture and email to you next day or two.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:14 AM

Default Re: I will take some picture and email to you next day or two.

Thanks alot - much appreciated.

Quick Reply: A few questions from an "almost" owner.....