A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

finally took some pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips

Here are some tools that helped me do this work.

I always have a long hollow rod to give extra leverage. By drain plug was so tight, I needed to add this to the 9mm wrench to get it open.

Use a wide-thin tool like the hex wrench when tigtining the catch tray screws. Screw driver heas are too narro and too long.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Well it was an adventure...I'll post more details over the next few days, but finally resolved the issue with the slow oil leak, got here:

Old 12-09-2018, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A lot of things got changed and I felt so bad by the state of my plugs...they were HORRIBLE.

So in all the following were ALL replaced with factory OEM parts:
  • NGK spark plugs
  • OEM coil packs
  • valve cover gaskets, with 1/2 moons and spark plug gaskets
  • intake manifold gaskets
  • Oil filter housing gasket - mine was brittle and broken and causing a huge mess which was the cause of the leak
  • oil filter housing o-ring
Lastly, awhile back I had swapped out bulbs from OEM to another make (Morimotto) and decided to install DeAuto's D2S...WOW. I knew the difference between OEM would be big, but even vs. Morimotto the DeAuto D2S were clearer and better.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
A lot of things got changed and I felt so bad by the state of my plugs...they were HORRIBLE.

So in all the following were ALL replaced with factory OEM parts:
  • NGK spark plugs
  • OEM coil packs
  • valve cover gaskets, with 1/2 moons and spark plug gaskets
  • intake manifold gaskets
  • Oil filter housing gasket - mine was brittle and broken and causing a huge mess which was the cause of the leak
  • oil filter housing o-ring
Lastly, awhile back I had swapped out bulbs from OEM to another make (Morimotto) and decided to install DeAuto's D2S...WOW. I knew the difference between OEM would be big, but even vs. Morimotto the DeAuto D2S were clearer and better.
Must feel like a breeze now to that V10 beast! Did you figure out what was causing the sparks?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kelisko
Must feel like a breeze now to that V10 beast! Did you figure out what was causing the sparks?
I think it was that my plugs and/or coils were defective and essentially dumping gasoline into the engine without igniting. So then the excess gas was basically coming out of the back of the car and since the exhaust is hot...igniting.

Oh and I forgot to add, we also changed out the passenger side CV axle for a new/reman unit.

I know need to take the vehicle to a car wash and remove the belly pan and spray it and the underside of the vehicle thoroughly, since that little oil filter gasket created quite the mess.

BTW, the inside of the valve covers looked to be in great shape and aside from a small leak on the underside, everything looked really good.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The offending part

What a mess

Old 12-11-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
I think it was that my plugs and/or coils were defective and essentially dumping gasoline into the engine without igniting. So then the excess gas was basically coming out of the back of the car and since the exhaust is hot...igniting.

Oh and I forgot to add, we also changed out the passenger side CV axle for a new/reman unit.

I know need to take the vehicle to a car wash and remove the belly pan and spray it and the underside of the vehicle thoroughly, since that little oil filter gasket created quite the mess.

BTW, the inside of the valve covers looked to be in great shape and aside from a small leak on the underside, everything looked really good.
Awesome. Well done! I should think of doing such a maintenance too soon. I never replaced my coils.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RAJ you're a beast!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well kinda a sad day, but not so bad...

So the other day I'm heading off to work early in the AM and just as I'm on my last large uphill portion, I feel a sudden loss of power and a strange chatter from the A6. I had every bad thought go through my head: timing chain guides, chain skip, pistons colliding, etc... I pull into my work by essentially coasting and when I go to leave work my car sounds awfull. I already have a throaty/raspy exhaust, but this sounded horrendous and the car was stalling out on me. Also, I'm getting multiple missfires and a CEL.

So I found an alternate mode of transport back home and this AM came in with my other car and a good flashlight and tools.

Quickly noticed that the airfilter pipe had come undone right at the throttle body and am hoping to get it sorted out when I leave tonight...I'm praying that it's the culprit and I can get teh 4.2 back on the road with as little drama as possible.

But the good news is that it gave me an opportunity to take a nice pic of both of my vehicles...I'm always amazed how LONG the A8 is in relation to the A6.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Quick update . It's was the pipe on the throttle body and as soon as I reseated it and started the car up everything was good in the world Aside from a small exhaust rattle which is due to one of the exhaust bolts coming loose which I need to tighten.

Quick Reply: finally took some pics