A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Front Vibrations - Steering wheel Shudders

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Vibrations - Steering wheel Shudders

My car has been vibrating in the front whenever I tap the breaks at high speed. its been happening for a while now and its driving me nuts! I took it to the dealership and they told me its definately the tires.

Now that was another different issue all together in fact they were right to some point - The tires were cheap & not meant for a high performace car hence they vibrated at speeds over 75 mph. I fixed that with all new Yokos - perfect choice.

The vibration is now isolated to the break system in the front. The cars steering wheel practically shudders when I break at high speed. Please advise because I'm starting to think the dealership thinks I'm just a cry baby of sorts shyt!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like you need new front rotors. I had same issue with my 4Runner. Stoping at light while car moving 65+ miles per hr and streeing shaked . dealer changed caliper but no fix. I did my own research and found out rotor surface were un even. I replace front rotors and new pads and problem gone. If you did not change you rotors yet then it is about time.
Hope this help.

Ali...
Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

Your rotors are warped.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RydeOdie
My car has been vibrating in the front whenever I tap the breaks at high speed. its been happening for a while now and its driving me nuts! I took it to the dealership and they told me its definately the tires.

Now that was another different issue all together in fact they were right to some point - The tires were cheap & not meant for a high performace car hence they vibrated at speeds over 75 mph. I fixed that with all new Yokos - perfect choice.

The vibration is now isolated to the break system in the front. The cars steering wheel practically shudders when I break at high speed. Please advise because I'm starting to think the dealership thinks I'm just a cry baby of sorts shyt!

I had the same problem on a Ford Capri, I put on new discs and the shudder had gone.

Also TSB http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Brakes/Br...guidelines.pdf

Last edited by royclark; 08-06-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aligzaidi110
Looks like you need new front rotors. I had same issue with my 4Runner. Stoping at light while car moving 65+ miles per hr and streeing shaked . dealer changed caliper but no fix. I did my own research and found out rotor surface were un even. I replace front rotors and new pads and problem gone. If you did not change you rotors yet then it is about time.
Hope this help.

Ali...
Oh My God! I'd be damned!! I had all 4 rotors front and back plus new pads done. NEW! like 3 months ago. spent some good money on them too...Could the dealership have sold me bad rotors? I'm storming this stealership if this is the case. ugh!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Your rotors are warped.
read myth #1

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

or from wikipedia

Brake judder is usually perceived by the driver as minor to severe vibrations transferred through the chassis during braking.[17][18][19][20][21][22][23][24][25]

The judder phenomenon can be classified into two distinct subgroups: hot (or thermal), or cold judder.

Hot judder is usually produced as a result of longer, more moderate braking from high speed where the vehicle does not come to a complete stop.[26] It commonly occurs when a motorist decelerates from speeds of around 120 km/h (74.6 MPH) to about 60 km/h (37.3 MPH), which results in severe vibrations being transmitted to the driver. These vibrations are the result of uneven thermal distributions, or hot spots. Hot spots are classified as concentrated thermal regions that alternate between both sides of a disc that distort it in such a way that produces a sinusoidal waviness around its edges. Once the brake pads (friction material/brake lining) comes in contact with the sinusoidal surface during braking, severe vibrations are induced, and can produce hazardous conditions for the person driving the vehicle.[27][28][29][30]

Cold judder, on the other hand, is the result of uneven disc wear patterns or disc thickness variation (DTV). These variations in the disc surface are usually the result of extensive vehicle road usage. DTV is usually attributed to the following causes: waviness and roughness of disc surface,[31] misalignment of axis (runout), elastic deflection, wear and friction material transfers.[19][30][32]

Last edited by raaizin; 08-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The myth state that this only happens at high speeds. You can easily check this by driving at city speeds and see if you still have the jitters. Should you still feel the jitters then your rotors are warped and need to be cut or replaced.

I, myself, have never felt the jitters without my rotor being warped at any speed on any of my cars or trucks. So no I do not believe what has been posted about any myth or Wikipedia.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Your rotors are warped.
I left the car at the dealership, I will know by tomorrow what the heck is going on.
Thank you all guys.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a shudder it turned out to be two bent wheels.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Philip1
I had a shudder it turned out to be two bent wheels.
Did you replace or rebalance them???

Quick Reply: Front Vibrations - Steering wheel Shudders