A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Help 2006 A6 wont start,or shift,brakes locked

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 2006 A6 wont start,or shift,brakes locked

Help. Have 2006 Audi A6 3.2 quattro. Car wont start has power ,installed new starter month ago. Could be bad. Problem is my driveway is hill cant get jack under it. Also car wont shift out of park to neutral. I hit the tab under ashtray to put in neutral but now i cant get car to roll seems brakes are locked up. Tried disconnected battery to reset comp that didnt work. Any ideas.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like you steering column is locked. Ive been dealing with the same thing for about a week. just got the car started yesterday. There are 2 ways to get it started. first youll need vagcom and clear the fault or second have audi put in another steering column ($2500).

from what ive been reading it could be just a fluke or there could be a genuine issue with components on the steering column
Old 02-04-2020, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audi A6 C6 4F2 4.2L 2005. Check access start module = locked up steering wheel + No power, gear shift, brake release... etc.

Had the same Issue. I ran a VAG COM scan which gave me error code 00288 - N360 which is inside a unit called J518 (on the steering Colum). Please check that code 00288 is the error, which relates to the access start module/steering lock unit (known as a J518).

This has happened 4 times to me and I had a portable VAG Com unit in the car I used to override the error code. Which brings the car back to life. 2 out of those 4 times I had a failing Battery. I suggest you ‘cell check’ the battery and the Voltage at rest First; as this might be part of the problem of the error code (lower battery voltage)?!?!? I am not sure about this, yet the coincidence is high as other random false warning lights came on i.e. low oil (these went after battery replacement).

There is some miss information on this topic and on many threads. Dealers will say the following:

a. “you cannot remove J518 from the steering column, you need to buy a complete new column which includes J518”. You CAN remove J518 from the column. I have done this and yes it took some effort including dealing with 2# one-way turn screw (need to cut a slot in the screw head) and Yes, you need to remove the whole steering column first.

b. “J518 can not be repaired”. It can. The most likely course of 00288 is solenoid ACT512 or one of the 3# micro switches on the PCM. I have bought such a kit. Worth changing the low cost small ELV motor while you are inside J518). Repair kits are available and you then re-solder.

c. “you cannot re-program J518, it’s a code once and forget”. There was a re-coding service I found in Europe in the fine nation of the Czech Republic (sorry lost www site URL).

Solutions:

The following is my personal opinion and actions. I take no responsibility for the following text. It is at the risk of the reader should they action the following; AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Pay a Garage to replace the whole steering column and re-code J518.

2. Buy solenoid ACT512 + 3# micro switches + ELV Motor. Solder and fit (no need to recode)

3. Cut Wire or Wires: With the Key IN the ignition yet ignition OFF: On the J518 is a 20 pin connector; cut Pin 19 (black/red cable). Please double check its location as there are 2# black/red wires. I took the connector block out and a part of its housing to be sure. I cut the wire high enough up the cable to allow re-connection.

3a. Pin 19 - May not work. If so, then on the larger 3 Pin Power connector cut the black/red cable. I cut high enough up the cable to allow re-connection.

Solution 3. + 3a. Worked for me. The steering column does not lock after performing 3. / 3a. yet all else does.

Final thought: VW Passat also has a J518 which you can buy as a unit. Please look at this as a possible solution (save the cost of a new column). You will need a garage to code the new J518 to your car. I did not look at this further.