A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to remove Camshaft Position Solenoids (VVT solenoid)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default How to remove Camshaft Position Solenoids (VVT solenoid)

Engine is 3.2.

Can someone please tell me how to remove these things without breaking them? I want to do the test where you apply 12V to them to make sure they are actuating.

There are 2 on each side of the engine (one intake and one exhaust). The only one that I could remove was the intake solenoid on the driver's side (right side if looking at engine). I was able to gently wiggle a very small flat head screwdriver under the lip of it to loosen it enough so that I could pull it up and out. But the intake one on the passenger side has too much "stuff" around it to get a screwdriver under the lip of it. I have also tried to gently pull up on it with some pliers but that scared me so I stopped.

And the exhaust ones are so deep down inside the valve cover that there seems to be no way to get it out. I also tried grabbing the top of it with pliers but the only part I could grab is the black plastic part and I did not want to break that. Is there a special tool to remove these?

Thanks alot.

Sidenote: (trying to kill 2 birds with one post) - any idea if carbon cleaning could be a cure for random misfires on all cylinders? I know misfires could be caused by a myriad of things, just wondering if anyone has heard of them going away after a carbon cleaning. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No "love" from anyone on this? I figured this would be an easy one as I'm sure several people have removed these (without removing the valve covers).
Old 08-21-2018, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I only have had to replace one, so far.
That one, on the passenger side at the rear of the valve cover, wasn't hard. I just unscrewed the fastener & pulled it out. I did not have to remove the valve cover or anything. The hardest part was probably getting the electrical connector off(as usual).
Old 08-21-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by LarryJa
That one, on the passenger side at the rear of the valve cover, wasn't hard. I just unscrewed the fastener & pulled it out. I did not have to remove the valve cover or anything. The hardest part was probably getting the electrical connector off(as usual).
That's it? You were able to just pull it out, with your hand? Or did you use some type of pliars or something? I don't even think you can get your fingertips down in there far enough to grab the metal piece; unless you pulled it out by the plastic piece where the connector goes. If so, that's dangerous. I couldn't even get the one out that is on the driver's side up top without using a screwdriver to pry up on it from the bottom carefully to loosen it enough to then allow me to pull it out. That's the only one that I have enough space around it to use the screwdriver. Maybe you have the 4.2 engine and they are in a location that's more easily accessible?

Thanks.

Edit: Never mind about the engine. I just looked at your profile and see you have the 3.2 (like me). Still not sure how you got that thing out. You are talking about the solenoid (long cylinder shaped) and not the camshaft position sensor right? Thanks.

Last edited by akingzkid; 08-21-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was the solenoid.
I did it back in the spring. I just "worked" it out with patience. I think that I grabbed it with a pair of "channel locks" & carefully rotated & rocked it out. I think that I was able to grab it down on the metal body. I, too, was worried about pulling the solenoid apart in-place.
Just be patient & careful as you do apply force.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It was the solenoid.
I did it back in the spring. I just "worked" it out with patience. I think that I grabbed it with a pair of "channel locks" & carefully rotated & rocked it out. I think that I was able to grab it down on the metal body. I, too, was worried about pulling the solenoid apart in-place.
Just be patient & careful as you do apply force.
ok. Wow. I can't see how you were able to do that. I tried a pair of pliars but can't get them down in there that far to be able to grab the metal because the plastic part is in the way. I was able to barely grab ahold of it but was really afraid to be too rough and break something. I guess I will try again with a little more force. Wish me well. LOL.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
ok. Wow. I can't see how you were able to do that. I tried a pair of pliars but can't get them down in there that far to be able to grab the metal because the plastic part is in the way. I was able to barely grab ahold of it but was really afraid to be too rough and break something. I guess I will try again with a little more force. Wish me well. LOL.
I had success for both sides using a flat head screw driver and gently prying and rotating the flat blade to get a little more lifting action.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kinetic53,
I can see that working for the 2 that are on top but there are 4 of them. What about the 2 that are lower down on the sides (exhaust solenoids)? They are the ones that are near the spark plugs and are in a hole. Did you get those out? If so, how? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not replace them at the time, but I imagine you can gently pry against the plastic valve cover with a pair of needle nose pliers so the force is more spread out on the electrical connector and valve cover, remove the valve cover and pry, or wiggle and pull with the valve cover in place. Do the intake ones first so you can get a feel for it and see some progress. Then try the exhaust ones. I'll be pulling my exhaust solenoids next weekend, but I may be pulling the valve covers as well. I'm trying to locate and fix a massive oil leak that just developed.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am tryng to replace these right now myself, First of all I can't find the exact OE replacement part anywhere, secondly they seem to be fused into my engine, though I know they are not since I have a massive oil leak from the passenger one. I found this part number but it seems to be for the 4.2 and ihave the 3.2 06e 109 257

I was about to open a new thread about this then saw this right at the top and thought oh so i'm not alone!

the passenger one looks like it should come off without removing anything else except its electrical connector and the small screw. i haven't gotten to the driver side yet but is it safe to use pliers to remove it?

Quick Reply: How to remove Camshaft Position Solenoids (VVT solenoid)