A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Installed honeycomb grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Installed honeycomb grill

I recently installed the honeycomb grill. I like the aggressive look. Taking a chance with having no plate on the front here in VA. Hopefully the cops are too busy to ever pull me over. LOL.

Only cost $90 from ebay but was a major pain to install. Lots of dremeling required and I had no clue how to attach the black backing piece for the Audi rings with what came in the package. What a mess. I got it done though.

I think the audi symbol is a tad bit high but it's not easy to fix because as you know I have to remove the bumper to adjust it and with the honeycomb grill I can't just move it down a half an inch because of how the honey comb pattern is and where the screws need to line up in the back through the honey comb pattern. It will either be too low or too far to the right or left. Ugh. LOL.

Ignore the small amount of black paint on the silver at the bottom of the car. I got careless when spray painting all of the parts that you can see through the grill. It came off pretty easily with some compounding paste.

Stock grill

Painting crash bar (which ended up not even being able to be seen through through the honeycomb grill)

New honeycomb grill.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

It makes a huge difference in the appearance of the car! Nice job.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It makes a huge difference in the appearance of the car! Nice job.
Thanks.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks stunning. I have the exact same old grill as you, and I often think how the car would look better if it had a darker grill rather than the sort of light grey color. It really does look awesome, I think that is how the Audi designers intended it to look - without a license plate ruining the asthetics.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solution to your problem
Old 03-20-2019, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 337 Likes on 285 Posts

Looks sweet
Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
Looks sweet
Thanks. Finding out that the factory paint is cheap because there are LOTS of small paint chips missing from daily highway driving. Will need to remove it soon and paint it with some better paint. While it's off I will move the log down about 1/2 to 1 inch.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by akingzkid
Thanks. Finding out that the factory paint is cheap because there are LOTS of small paint chips missing from daily highway driving. Will need to remove it soon and paint it with some better paint. While it's off I will move the log down about 1/2 to 1 inch.
I'd say factory paint is very well done. The same or worse will happen if you repaint it yourself. If you want to protect your car's front from projectiles, you might want to consider plastic wrapping.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
I'd say factory paint is very well done. The same or worse will happen if you repaint it yourself. If you want to protect your car's front from projectiles, you might want to consider plastic wrapping.
When I say "factory" I am referring to the "factory" where the company that I ordered it from on ebay had it painted. It was a cheap $90 part so I'm sure it is very cheaply painted. Plastic wrapping as in Plasti-dip?
Old 03-22-2019, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by akingzkid
When I say "factory" I am referring to the "factory" where the company that I ordered it from on ebay had it painted. It was a cheap $90 part so I'm sure it is very cheaply painted. Plastic wrapping as in Plasti-dip?
Makes sense now. Not plasti dip. Actual plastic wrap. Protects the car better than any coating available imho. I have them on the side mirrors of my 1997 C5 A6 and they still look immaculate.

Quick Reply: Installed honeycomb grill