A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice

Had my '08 A6 since 1/3/09 and had all kinds of problems ever since. There were so many that I had to visit my dealer almost every month. Here're just several not-so-minor issues:

1. Engine misfiring P0302/P0303. First noticed the rough idle at cold start in Sep. Back then there was a TSB without fix so they gave me some fuel additives. In Oct at 15k service they fixed it with an ECM reflash. It was somehow better for a while but after one month the rough idle came back. Asked for re-check and was told nothing wrong. Two weeks ago MIL light came on and they reflash the firmware again claiming it's detecting a non-existing misfiring. Too bad the MIL light once again came on with the same code just 3 days ago. To make it even worse, all they did was to reset the code and give me another fuel additives. Of course they advised me to switch to Shell (I use Gulf 90% of time for the convenience and lower cost) but that's simply unacceptable to me at this point. At last visit I also met a nice lady who had exactly the same problem and failed the inspection at very first year!

2. Squeaking noise from brake. The noise was noticed in the first 10-15 days of my ownership. First they claimed it's very normal and then tried to adjust it/resurface the rotor. For one time they even wanted to charge me as brake is consider a worn item. The noise then is gone when temperature went up (40F+ degree). Unfortunately it came back at winter time. Of course they told me it's normal and there's nothing they can do about it.

3. Extra oil consumption. Oil level warning light went off between service intervals and guess what? It's normal according to Audi. I don't know how they define normal but I never had this problem with all my other cars!

Oh, did I forget to mention all the rattling sound from console/door, missing clipper on the door wood panel, worn-out bulb and a bunch of other things I even don't remember?

I bought the car as new and it's within the first year. Unfortunately it has 17k miles on it now so lemon law probably doesn't apply. Looking for advice from you guys how to deal with Audi.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

That does sound very annoying. I think you should demand to have the engine issue fixed for good. It could be bad gas, though.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Not gas for sure

I always put in #93 and Gulf is a big brand name. 90% is Gulf and 10% is Mobil. It would be ridiculous if Audi can only consume Shell.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ttt03, I had the misfiring CEL like you and the rough idle in the morning as well. My dealer did the reflash and I started using Shell V-power and the VW fuel additive every 2000 miles. So far so good, its been 4000 miles now since the last CEL.
My brakes squeak too when its cold out until the they warm up.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt03
I always put in #93 and Gulf is a big brand name. 90% is Gulf and 10% is Mobil. It would be ridiculous if Audi can only consume Shell.

They're not making that statement. it's just that Shell is supposed to contain the latest round of additives that will help DI cars. I don't know how many other oil companies are addressing this head-on, if any.

The 92 octane requirement is fairly obvious when you're packin' a 12.5:1 compression ratio, right

I think it's essential to get on it once in a while (AKA Italian Tune-up) to blow the crap out. People who drive around like old farts day in, day out are reporting more issues. So, stick the boot in it every once in a while and you might be surprised to see the crap blowing out.

Good luck with it!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Regarding the Italian tune-up, I agree it will do some good. However if I HAVE to do it to stop the CEL light, that's another story in which to me, unacceptable especially when the car is still very young.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I agree, that's not right.

I don't know what country/state you are in, but can you find another dealer?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also as there is a TSB regarding this very problem, it's probably happening to many other people. But what's the point to have a TSB without a real good fix? And since there is a TSB dealer is even not allowed to take any further look/action otherwise they won't be paid for the warranty.

Bottomline if Audi designed an engine can only take Shell V-Power, they need to tell it. If Audi agrees there is a problem, they need to fix it.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I agree, that's not right.

I don't know what country/state you are in, but can you find another dealer?
I am in MA/USA. The service department is fine and they are just following the protocol set by Audi. Very disappointed with Audi's incompetency.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt03
Bottomline if Audi designed an engine can only take Shell V-Power, they need to tell it.
Audi and other manufacturers recommend Shell, and a few others. Here is a link to a website with the approved fuels. I also rememeber seeing a TSB from Audi with the same list of suppliers. Good luck with resolving your car's problems.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Quick Reply: Looking for advice