A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MK: Help with headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK: Help with headlight adjustment

I recently changed the projectors in my A6 S-line (with adaptive headlights).
The problem is, after driving a while, especially after a few hard curves on the road, I get the error Adaptive Light Defective

I tried leveling them with screwdriver, following the well known leveling tutorial, also using VCDS so that the car can learn the new adjustments.
The error went away, but as soon as I do the same (few curves, while looking for parking spot for example), I get the same error.

I noticed that while driving in pitch black road, the light beams movement were a bit strange to me, for example:
When I turned left, my right headlight beam would go to far left, past my left beam. The same happens if I turn right, left beam would go to far right, past my right beam, and when going straight, the beams are almost touching at the same spot in 20 meters approximately

I know it's not the best, but here the blue squares are the left and right beam which I personally (maybe I am wrong?) think that they are too close to each other, and this is like 10-15 meters distance from the car.
Should it be like this? Can anyone with factory or well adjusted headlights send a photo of their beams in a wall from 10-20 meters, so I can compare?
And when you turn, do both beams go to the same direction and do they cross/touch each other when turning?
Old 09-14-2021, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

While turnninig, adaptive headlights follow each other and never cross. Re: your headlight image - that appears correct to me at the 10 - 20 meter (33 - 66 ft) distance.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

But how did it came to this, because the only thing that was done was changing the projectors and minor level adjustment using the headlight adjustment plastic screws.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by KORUN
But how did it came to this, because the only thing that was done was changing the projectors and minor level adjustment using the headlight adjustment plastic screws.
because in order to turn the screws, the car must first be put into learning mode via a scan tool (VCDS etc). That's been an Audi thing since almost forever
Old 09-15-2021, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
because in order to turn the screws, the car must first be put into learning mode via a scan tool (VCDS etc). That's been an Audi thing since almost forever
Yep, I know, but the service didn't know that apparently (if that's the case).
But I have VCDS, did recenter, recalibrate, factory defaults, everything.
And by any logic, if I calibrate without VCDS, the worst thing to happen should be that the beam will be a little off center or something, not 900% wrong.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

These are the 2 error I often see in VCDS for the headlight

The one with the Cornering light I am seeing now for the first time, but the Headlight not adjusted, no matter what I do (reset factory settings, readjust, save, learn, clear error, etc...) after a while, the same error comes back.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

KORUN,
I also changed my projectors on my old C6.5 to upgraded projectors. With the adaptive lights, you must be very particular with how you reinstall them, as they swivel horizontally and vertically. More than likely, when you installed the new projectors, the shroud clearances are off and are hitting something as they rotate. I had this on mine and, through trial and error, had to cut little pieces off of the OEM shroud until they no longer contacted.
Did you perform a test run with the lenses off and check for correct positioning? Also, you can try to re-calibrate with VCDS. But if they are hitting, they will have to be opened-up and corrected. The sensors will register that they are not reaching the correct position for calibration, and calibration will fail.

-Larry
Old 10-05-2021, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larry23142314
KORUN,
I also changed my projectors on my old C6.5 to upgraded projectors. With the adaptive lights, you must be very particular with how you reinstall them, as they swivel horizontally and vertically. More than likely, when you installed the new projectors, the shroud clearances are off and are hitting something as they rotate. I had this on mine and, through trial and error, had to cut little pieces off of the OEM shroud until they no longer contacted.
Did you perform a test run with the lenses off and check for correct positioning? Also, you can try to re-calibrate with VCDS. But if they are hitting, they will have to be opened-up and corrected. The sensors will register that they are not reaching the correct position for calibration, and calibration will fail.

-Larry
I had that exact same problem but I fixed that, the new projectors were about 5 mm shorter then the OEM, but now they are ok. That's why I can't figure it out what is the problem...
Also, how did you change the projectors? How did you open the headlights? DId you remove the glass/clear plastic of the headlight somehow?
Old 10-06-2021, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

KORUN,
I baked the headlights open in the oven , removed hardware and the old projectors. I installed the new projectors and decided to test everything before I put the lens back on ( good thing I did, because I had to cut out some of the OE shroud). I remember when I first installed them, I put the swivel position sensor in wrong and the lights gave me the same warning as you and didn't work. I would recommend checking the swivel sensor that is mounted to the projector mount, and make sure it is in the correct position / orientation. If the sensor is installed incorrectly, it will make your computer think the lights are aiming at the wrong angle and will disable the entire system.

*How did the wiring look when you had the headlights opened? My 2006 A6 had flaking wires that I had to replace a few years ago that caused some problems.

*As for the headlight being misaligned, you installed new projectors which changed the entire headlight aiming. Go through a proper alignment session, adjusting both lateral and vertical positions, and the headlights should point where they are supposed to go. This is my go-to website for the aiming procedure: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html. I don't know who Daniel is, but thank you!
Also, with VCDS, you can change how the headlights swivel. One of my projects with Audis is to figure out what every coding and adaptation change does, and I mapped-out 90% of my A6s headlight control module. Just let me know if you want the info; I'd be happy to share my findings!

-Larry

Last edited by larry23142314; 10-06-2021 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KORUN (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larry23142314
KORUN,
I baked the headlights open in the oven , removed hardware and the old projectors. I installed the new projectors and decided to test everything before I put the lens back on ( good thing I did, because I had to cut out some of the OE shroud). I remember when I first installed them, I put the swivel position sensor in wrong and the lights gave me the same warning as you and didn't work. I would recommend checking the swivel sensor that is mounted to the projector mount, and make sure it is in the correct position / orientation. If the sensor is installed incorrectly, it will make your computer think the lights are aiming at the wrong angle and will disable the entire system.

*How did the wiring look when you had the headlights opened? My 2006 A6 had flaking wires that I had to replace a few years ago that caused some problems.

*As for the headlight being misaligned, you installed new projectors which changed the entire headlight aiming. Go through a proper alignment session, adjusting both lateral and vertical positions, and the headlights should point where they are supposed to go. This is my go-to website for the aiming procedure: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html. I don't know who Daniel is, but thank you!
Also, with VCDS, you can change how the headlights swivel. One of my projects with Audis is to figure out what every coding and adaptation change does, and I mapped-out 90% of my A6s headlight control module. Just let me know if you want the info; I'd be happy to share my findings!

-Larry
Wow man, a lot of helpful info, thanks! Yes, if you can send me your findings (I do some findings/checkups myself with VCDS), that would be great! Just PM me or put them here if you want.
Using VCDS with the saloon presentation option I think, I tested the headlight, they seem fine, swivel, go left right, up down... I really don't know where the problem is.
Also, I noticed that 1 or 2 of the plastic gears is maybe broken inside? Because manually (with screwdriver) I can not adjust fully both headlights, they don't go all the way when I turn the screw/gear.

Quick Reply: MK: Help with headlight adjustment