A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI dead, have tried all, but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI dead, have tried all, but...

Hi guys,
In need of some help w/ a dead MMI. I was driving and my screen had a few glitchy characters on it as I was editing a CDs name. After I noticed that, it became completely unresponsive. I pulled over to turn the car off, then back on- haven't seen my screen light up since.
I got a MOST loop and individually bypassed the Bluetooth module, Amp, CD, Nav DVD and Radio (assuming that's what's in the rack between the nav and the amp?). I checked every fuse in the two dash boxes and the one on the passenger side of the trunk.
Is there another fuse box I missed? Is there anything else I should have tried the loop on? Can't afford the dealer, so any additional help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm assuming that the vag-com data is pretty useless in this instance. Based upon what you described as happening, it sounds like your MMI may actually be shot.

FWIW, something VERY similar happened to me early on and fortunately I was under warranty and the entire MMI unit in the dash was replaced with a brand new unit. I never troubleshot much, however I did attempt to reboot the mmi.

This may actually be a case where the dealer may be the best course of action...good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is when you really need the VAG COM. Do a complete scan and look at the data bus (address 19). If you can communicate with MMI front display control module, you can perform a Ring-break test then go from there.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I have the car at the shop for something else right now, so,I asked them to do so. Out of curiosity, anyone know the part number on a replacement module? See a few online but if I need, want to make sure it's the right one.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Shop confirmed it was the control head. I've read it's behind the glove box- searching for an online how to now.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually replacing the physical part is easy. Just a few torx screws, and a couple of connectors.

But you will have to fork some $$ to Audi to have them reprogram the component protection on the unit (if you get a used one).

Yeah, been there, done that.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, that's what it seems. I called a local shop that claims they've done it, but also didn't sound terribly confident.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got the part on eBay for $160 and got it installed in 20 min. Works great except no audio from the radio or CD until I have Audi remove the CP (which the dealer quoted an hour of labor to do).
Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GodOfThunder
Got the part on eBay for $160 and got it installed in 20 min. Works great except no audio from the radio or CD until I have Audi remove the CP (which the dealer quoted an hour of labor to do).
One hour labor for CP removal is too much. Maybe try another dealer or try to talk him down to 1/2 hour. Some dealers do this for free if you have the car serviced with them.

Say that you do not need diagnostics just manual CP removal on the headunit. They will hook it up to VAS, log in to database to check if the HU is stolen, and then just remove the CP. About five minutes worth of labor.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This might be in my future. Would you mind linking in the eBay listing, part numbers and any pictures you have of the work? Detail here would be awesome.

Quick Reply: MMI dead, have tried all, but...