A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Shutdown

Hello,

I'm the second owner of a 2005 A6 3.2. It's a great and expensive car to own! It's got the MMI high. I'm located in the US..

So I've got an issue happening right now -and yes I've searched - The MMI keeps crashing. This just started happening this weekend. Others have reported similar issues but what mine is doing seems stranger than average. I'all give a brief chronological account.

this last winter when it was really cold there were a couple times when I started the car I got a piercing screech that came over the speakers and wouldn't stop. Each time I unplugged the connection to the bose amp in the truck. It seemed to fix the issue.

no issues through the spring.

Saturday night the MMI crashed on the interstate. Pulled of and did a reboot on it. Didn't work. Coincidently at the same time the rpm and speedometer lights stopped working while the light switch was in the "auto" position.

Sunday the MMI worked for a little bit then crashed again. This time I unplugged the Bose amp again let it sit and it worked great. Later it crashed again and came back up trying to pull info on radio stations and the photo kept happening.

so is this a software, MMI or Bose amp issue? Probably all three. It's going into my local independent Audi shop tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Clarification: The rpm/speedo lights work when the light switch is on. Just not in the auto position.

there is no moisture or water damage I can find in the truck where the nav, tuner, satellite, and amp are.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

How old is the battery in the car? The car started acting weird when the battery seemed to be fine. The dealer did a battery test and told me it failed load test. BT started not pairing; but the car could start every single time.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by first.octopus
How old is the battery in the car? The car started acting weird when the battery seemed to be fine. The dealer did a battery test and told me it failed load test. BT started not pairing; but the car could start every single time.
the battery is 3 years old. It shows 100% when I run the test on the dash, but I have zero idea if that's correct or how accurate it is. I've got zero issues with it starting
Old 06-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I pulled the fuses and did the hard boot. It's worked all day. I will still take it in and have it looked at. Will the hard boot reset any codes that were thrown ?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well it crashed again.. The shop wasn't able to hook up at all. Didn't have time to leave it. Pulled the fuse again and it works. It really seems like it could be a software issue. The MMI is running 1070, so I can jump directly to the 4610.. Anyway I ordered an OEM set of discs and I'm going to attempt the update this weekend.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, my local Indy guy can't figure it out. So now it's going to be going to component component, starting with the blue tooth under the passenger seat.

Took it 6 hours round trip this weekend and it worked 3/4 of the time, however it was really strange it would show the Sirius presets but it would play Sirius radio. CD player kept skipping.

tried updating software again. It crashed, so who knows if the MMI is fried.

any ideas guys? I guess at this point I might be looking at a new MMI? Tons of conflicting info out there. At I looking at a 2k bill?

any help would be appreciated, very appreciated
Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 148 Likes on 133 Posts

I just got my MMI working last week... i just bypassed the BT module under the DRIVERS seat area, and it booted right up and works perfect.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's great news man! I'm happy to hear it!

were you running into the same issues as me?

How did you bypass it?

Originally Posted by Sallad
I just got my MMI working last week... i just bypassed the BT module under the DRIVERS seat area, and it booted right up and works perfect.