A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI shuts off after startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I pulled the glovebox off yesterday...

Originally Posted by pavils
I thought the Dension cable has a "bypass" switch...if so, does that make any difference? Wouldn't help if there's a physical break in the fiber loop, but would if the problem is a misbehaving Dension.
The AUX input box (which connects to the main GW 500 unit) has a mode selector switch (Service/CDC mode vs. Gateway 500 mode). It also has a reset switch. But I don't have that AUX input box, so AFAIK I have no way to bypass the GW500 without it in hardware.

So what I did was undo the install to take the Dension out of the loop by hooking the fiber back up to the CD changer. I saw no change in behavior.

I also tested not having the fiber hooked up, ie. not having the CDC fiber plugged in at all, and the behavior was different: The MMI didn't come on at all and didn't respond to any input.

So overall this tells me that the fiber loop is working through the Dension, and the Dension isn't involved. Or if it caused the problem, taking it out doesn't solve it. I don't see a choice beyond having the dealer re-install the MMI SW or replace the HW (maybe that's the same thing).
Attached Images  

Last edited by flynn337; 04-21-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

bummer that didn't fix it. you have done the 3-finger MMI reboot sequence, right?

I hope for your sake it's just bad/corrupted MMI SW and/or just a sub-module - I believe the MMI unit is *very* pricey.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pavils
you have done the 3-finger MMI reboot sequence, right?
Yes, I've tried it before, during (at various times), and after it starting up. It doesn't seem to accept any input at all.

I wish I knew what this mysterious reinstall of system software process was about - why can only the dealer do it?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flynn337
How can I reinstall when I can't access the MMI itself? I thought a sw install involved using the MMI UI to trigger an update...

What do you mean by a full system reboot?
There are more experienced people here who have done their own updates but most did it with a working MMI, have you tried installing the first disk to see if it will activate the system?

You already know the three finger reboot.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mystrodo
Have you tried installing the first disk to see if it will activate the system?
How do you suggest I try installing when the MMI shuts down a few seconds after starting? Don't I need access to the MMI to install or upgrade sw?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My suggestion is only that...a suggestion since I've not had this problem. I understand you don't have a stable MMI and it's shutting down..have you disconnected any add-on's such as the Denison? After doing that and it still won't load and stabilize but disconnects..what happens when you insert the first upgrade disk..does anything show on the screen?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mystrodo
My suggestion is only that...a suggestion since I've not had this problem. I understand you don't have a stable MMI and it's shutting down..have you disconnected any add-on's such as the Denison? After doing that and it still won't load and stabilize but disconnects..what happens when you insert the first upgrade disk..does anything show on the screen?
I'm just trying to understand your suggestion. You're saying to insert the first upgrade disk, then try to power on the MMI? What would happen with a perfectly good MMI... doesn't it ignore the disk until you invoke a SWUpdate from the MMI menu?

Re: removing the Dension, yes I tried that with no change - see the post above with the picture.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't have another suggestion..I'm just thinking what I'd do. I'd also recheck related fuses with a meter. Someone will pop in whose had a simular situation hopefully.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

For those who may experience this same problem: it turned out to be a bad set of buttons, all gummed up with spilt coffee (from the previous owner). They worked fine for awhile, then one day I had the problem (see the first post in this thread).

The fix was to replace the button module with a new one. Part # 4F1 919 610 R pictured below. Once replaced the MMI started up with no problems. The Dension wasn't involved at all.

I'm now selling my old button module in case someone believes they can clean it out and wants to mod it with LED lights or something : )

Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the update. I would have never guessed it was the button panel until I looked at the photo..very dirty indeed.
I always fear spilling a cup of coffee..now I know why. Thanks for the heads-up

Last edited by mystrodo; 07-11-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelin erors

Quick Reply: MMI shuts off after startup