A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI Upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Upgrade advice

Hello Guys,
I just upgraded from a '99 A4 to a '05 A6.
I am new to all the new electronic stuff inside the car and was wondering if there is an upgrade to the MMI system available.

I had the below questions :
- I am on firmware 0750 (attached picture), do I need firmware upgrade? What features get added?
- What is 2g/3g MMI?
- How can i load 2011 US Maps on to my car?
- My car is not in warranty, so will the dealership help me upgrade firmware and load new maps? how much do they charge?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks much guys.
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- I am on firmware 0750 (attached picture), do I need firmware upgrade? What features get added?
u have the base firmware 4610 is latest US, u do not NEED it unless u want to update to latest NAV maps or have issues with Bluetooth phone pairing or just hate that warning screen u get each time

- What is 2g/3g MMI?
you ave MMI 2G ..3G has a toggle button inside the main/mouse button and a more integrated MMI

- How can i load 2011 US Maps on to my car?
rumor is u need to update MMI 1st but im not 100% on that but what it takes is getting the disks and inserting them in the nav unit in the trunk

- My car is not in warranty, so will the dealership help me upgrade firmware and load new maps? how much do they charge?
sure they will , WAY TOO MUCH

u could do everything your self but i would require a good search and read on the forums
Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello MainLandMig,
Do you know any resources where I can find the steps to upgrade the MMI firmware and the maps?
I am sure many people have done it already, but I am not able to find a comprehensive guide for it.
Any help is appreciated

Thank you!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts
Default If you SFTAs, you would have located info on updating.....

MMI. Here is a link to a TSB for updating MMI:

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/MMI/MMI%2...0procedure.pdf

At a minimum you need to update to at least Version 3160, but Version 4140 is slighly better.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by basheerster
Hello MainLandMig,
Do you know any resources where I can find the steps to upgrade the MMI firmware and the maps?
I am sure many people have done it already, but I am not able to find a comprehensive guide for it.
Any help is appreciated

Thank you!
i did it myself so it can be done ... but if u r shy of tech stuff dont try it..

there is no comprehensive place i read as much as i could on here and AudiZine forum and built myself a step by step

my step by step went thru a few revisions from time to time so im glad i didnt just jump right in a do it or i would have prob fried my mmi

use the TSB and maybe do a search with my name and key word MMI and read all the threads

GL
Old 01-29-2012, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yo have to take it easy went upgrading if you are so low in version you first go up one version and them wait like a 10min to all the devices initialize so you can go to the next update because I did both upgrade without waiting enough time and the last upgrade I did miss the navigation unit. So it was a mess..
Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Where are you located? I just bought the update discs.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@4Driver4 - I am located in Dallas, TX.
It would be great if you can point me to the CDs and the steps to do it.

I also downloaded the 2010 maps from torrent, but not sure if it will work with my MMI (if its related at all)
Old 01-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by basheerster
@4Driver4 - I am located in Dallas, TX.
It would be great if you can point me to the CDs and the steps to do it.

I also downloaded the 2010 maps from torrent, but not sure if it will work with my MMI (if its related at all)
Ah. I'm in New England.

I had trouble reading the downloaded discs, so I bought originals from the dealer. I think they cost me about $30. If you were local you could come by and try them.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Ah. I'm in New England.

I had trouble reading the downloaded discs, so I bought originals from the dealer. I think they cost me about $30. If you were local you could come by and try them.
I'm looking into upgrading mine too. I'm from West Hartford, CT. Are you close by? Where should I get new DVD nav though?

Quick Reply: MMI Upgrade advice