A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

The new guy... Are there any workshop manuals floating around?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new guy... Are there any workshop manuals floating around?

I hate barging into a forum like the Kook-Aid Man. I am new to this Audi thing. I decided I needed a new bad life-decision and bought a 2007 S6 on an auction, sight unseen. You can imagine how that's going. It starts and runs, and it's quite quick, but I found that I am missing a cam roller. The car will never pass a NYS inspection even if it's semi-drivable.

Exploring an engine pull.... but I can't fully digest this idea until I see a step by step.

Does such a workshop manual exist? Pics for your amusement. P.S., there is no signs of the cam roller anywhere. I drove the car locally before I parked her and so not sure what to make of that. I've yet to drop the oil pan, however.

2007 Audi S6, Rad off, So. Much. Fun.

2007 Audi S6 Valve Cover Off. Missing cam roller.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

The Bentley Publishers issued an official Audi Repair Manual (Bentley Stock No. AC66) on a DVD-ROM that covers the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 A6, S6 models. Unfortunately, the program won't work on Windows 10 or 11, which is one of the reasons have I kept my old desktop computer to acces my manual for my 2006 A6 Avant.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I also use Bentley on an old PC and some folks use Erwin as well.

You might be able to replace the missing rocker and damaged lifter without pulling the engine.

The picture angle might be deceiving but this rocker looks like it may have been recently replaced. If this rocker has no discolouration then it is relatively new. When broken flap debris rains down into the intake ports then a valve can hang and a rocker will become unloaded. When this happens one or more rockers are able to pop out of position and ping pong around the valve train. Pull the intake and check for black plastic intake port debris. If debris is present then repair or modify or replace the intake as the flaps are damaged and at risk of grenading the engine.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

ErWin -

Go here

https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

Create a 1 day account and down load everything you can find on your car. you should be able to get all the manuals and tech bulletins.
I got over 300 different documents.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I suspect the intake flaps plastic hardware started disintegrating and ingested debris caused both intake valves on Bank 2 Cylinder 6 to hang open and both rocker arms popped out of position. The cylinder would have misfires with no intake air and if run too long then the cylinder wall will develop scoring from prolonged raw fuel wash. I would inspect the cylinder / compression and leak down tests to ensure you are not dealing with an unrepairable engine. Looks like possibly a new rocker was installed on the forward valve. The rear valve was left without a replacement rocker likely due to the reduced work space from the cam position tone ring and the damaged lifter along with the hammered cylinder head aluminum rolled lip requiring more effort to address. The engine will run and throw no codes with only one intake valve working.

If the cams are not damaged and valves not bent then I would install a new lifter and rocker. Manually rotate engine and tactically position the bottom of the cam for wide tone ring tooth spacing and the lobe in valve closed position but lobe ready to soon open the valve with a bit more engine rotation. Use a rag and pry bar under the cam lobe to manually open the valve and insert a plastic toothbrush handle to hold the valve open. The valve needs to be about 2/3 open to have enough room. Install the new rocker then manually rotate engine to have the cam lobe fully open the valve and release the toothbrush. Saves an engine pull and cylinder head tear down if all you need is to replace a rocker.

I would inspect Bank 1 to see if there are similar issues and also inspect inside intake for missing or damaged flap hardware.

Last edited by AudiAllTheWay; 07-18-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Since it looks like you have the manifold off, you my be ale to just shake it and see if it sounds like a baby's rattle toy. On mine, the only thing that was damaged was the connection between the 9 and 10 flap. I did the good old JB weld thing and was able to get them to bond together. I was and still am a bit concerned about that fix, but I had to go back in to clean the injectors about 6 or 8 months after that fix, and it was still solid.

There is one vendor out there, that has replacement flap kit if you want to go that route. I almost did, but figured there is a fair chance I will be back under the manifold in the next year, and will do them then, after we have a chance to see how this new product plays out.