A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Quattro vs. Fronttrac.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro vs. Fronttrac.

Was looking for opinions between the two. I live in Southern California and will probably never need all wheel drive but give the current lease deal offered by Audi the cost is the same. Lower money factor and higher residual on Quattro.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Quattro vs. Fronttrac, not even a question in my mind

Quattro, hands down. overall driving performance/experience is outstanding. the technology for the money is well worth it. I have had VW's, Audi's & Porsches. FWD, 4 motion, RWD, AWD, & quattro all in SoCal before I moved east. I current drive a quattro A6 and Cayenne AWD. Weather or specific needs are not an issue, I just love AWD. AWD in any form is the way to go. I dont expect to ever buy a 2 wheel drive car ever again. We are talking stable solid perfomance, no matter what. My next german car will be AWD, hopefully a DSG (when it debuts)Carrera 4S.
Good Luck!!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a C6 FWD

and the benefits are that I get multitronic, which is lighter than the tip, more fuel efficient and quicker. It's about .8 secs faster 0-60 than the quattro equivalent, and more fuel efficient than my C5 2.4 tip FWD.

On the down side, there is some (but not alot) of torque steer, but handling is still way better than the C5. Wet handling not as sure footed, although I'm not sure if there's really a significant difference in handling between AWD and FWD in the dry. Good point of ref for FWD is the latest Golf GTi which is brilliant to drive.

Have not driven the C6 quattro, so can't make any real comparisons, but would have bought it except that it costs US$12,000 more than the FWD in Singapore.

Can't wait for the 60-40 split torque transmission, that may really tempt me, esp with DSG.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Stay away from fronttrac and the multitronic transmission!

To have a multitronic in the new a6 would be horrible. The C6 A6 is such a nice car and the multitronic trans would ruin it.
If you care about how your car will drive get quattro!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure why you say that. There are significant benefits in multitronic over tip.

The only problem is that it can't accommodate the torsen diff.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default This I gotta hear: why would multitronic "ruin it?"

Based on what I have read and the loaner A6 I was given that had a multitronic, I would love this transmission and in order would want offered and would buy:

1. 6 speed manual
2. DSG
3. Multitronic
5. Tiptronic

There is no fourth thing.

I am attempting to discuss ONLY the transmission, I would assume at some point the technical ability to have both AWD + multitronic, if "marketing" determines it has merit.

The question about ruining it is in my mind not linked to FWD -- that is, if what would ruin the A6 is FWD PLUS multitronic, well I would simply state the FWD ruined it, NOT the transmission.

Please clarify what would ruin it speaking of the transmission that is.

While my current 2005 A6 3.2 q with the tip "is the best tip I have ever had," in some cases I would liken that to saying "that was the best root canal I've ever had."

I keep my Tip in "S" mode to prevent the "I know better than you" attitude it has toward shifting when left in "D."

In fact, if I had a magic wand I would like the ability to program the transmission so in "D" it would not almost demand a full stop prior to shifting to first gear -- talk about "tip lag."

I'd say if the multitronic has the strength to endure more than 240+ foot pounds of torque, "make it so, please."

Driving a multitronic at first is different, then it becomes almost like I would imagine driving a turbine would be, smooth and progressive.

Having said this and with no evidence whatsoever to confirm this: multitronic probably has a short shelf life within Audi.

7 speed tips and DSG's will rule the Audi domain would be my gut.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Yet.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had a Fronttrak and a few Quattros - Live in So Cal

Even here in So. Cal I get use out of the Quattro. Weather is only one component. With Quattro, I can take off at full throttle around a corner without losing traction or power, handles better. In the rain, it is even more noticable and fun. We don't get many rainy days but when they do come, it again reaffirms my decision. The Quattro will hold its value better also.

My last car was a Multitronic. I tried to like it, but the strange feeling of the sliping clutch never felt right. It takes another element of control away from the driver. The RPMs vary depending on what the car wants at the moment. I will never buy another multi-tronic car. If only Audi was giving us the choice of DSG... If you're getting an Audi, gotta have Quattro.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree ^^^ My last A4 was a Multi-tronic. Not for me.

From a drivers perspective, the front-trak is smooth and gets better gas mileage (barely) under some circumstances. On the down side, it feels unnatural, especially under acceleration. If you're driving on the freeway at 55 mph and you go to pass... From 55 mph to 80, the rpm is stuck at 5500 rpm. The variation is done by the transmission. Some may get used to it, but I never could. I like the feeling of forward momentum having been made by engine speed, not a transmission. It's a little better if you manually use the gear selection, but it still has the same rubbery, disconnected feeling. I wouldn't buy one again.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

If there were no Quattro, I wouldn't even have bother looking into the Audi's.

Quick Reply: Quattro vs. Fronttrac.