A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Question: How good is the A6 Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bose Sound and XM Quality Question

I think the Bose system is a step up from the C6, but I've noticed you really have to crank the volume up to get the best sound. Sound quality, at lower levels, even with the Bass and Treble boosted, is not as good as other auto systems I've heard.

I have XM radio and have been disappointed in the sound quality. I was led to believe that it would yield CD quality sound, but I find most stations to be a slight improvement over regular FM. A few stations at times do sound great, but it is not consistent. I know they highly compress the news and other non-music stations (the traffic reports voice quality is awful), but I was hoping the music stations would be better. Anyone else with XM or Sirus care to weigh in on this?
Old 01-15-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It looks like Mercedes uses Bose

I was able to track down the link below--it looks like Audi is in good company when it comes to using Bose.

The story is a year old, so the new A6 couldn't have been reviewed, and I can't find a more recent review.<ul><li><a href="http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/press/101117/article.html">Edmunds reviews sound systems</a></li></ul>
Old 01-15-2005, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "a step up from the C6"?

What system are you referring to?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default One feature I really like - the sound level adjustment

Instead of tweaking the volume due to speed changes, it continutally adjusts the volume due to ambient noise, and as such you can never percieve changes in volume, you just realise that it always stays the same volume level no matter what the car is doing. Very clever!

I'm content with the bass output, but it's not as deep as some I've heard (including the D3 A8). Regardless of how good Bose is, you can't argue with physics and 6.5 inch drivers aren't going to give you the kind of response that a 12 does.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: XM

I agree with Steve'sA6,

I have been disappointed with XM, both from a programming standpoint (pretty routine and mundane...the Christmas stations must have rehashed the same 100 songs for the entire month) to the quality of sound. I also have found that my XM stations don't sound "digital" and in fact are less in dynamic sound than my local FM stations.

As I've said before, sat radio is one of the extras that I would do without next time...
Old 01-15-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: It looks like Mercedes uses Bose

Mercedes use Bose for its base system and Harmon Kardon Logic 7 for its upgraded system
Old 01-15-2005, 03:36 PM

Can't get the Bose w/out the satellite radio though
Old 01-16-2005, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oops, meant to say step up from C5
Old 01-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default I agree

I'm also starting to question why I'm paying all that money for the 3 or 4 stations I'm listening to. I went for it primarily for CNN and now I'm bored with that. Maybe XM will buy out Sirius and make it more worthwhile, but they probably offer the same stuff anyway, except for Howard.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: XM

I've had both (Sirius as an add-on tuner, XM in the factory head from Honda). Sirius definitely sounds better - which is odd because XM has more repeaters - especially here in the NJ/NYC tri-state area. Also, I've found the XM signal to be a helluva lot better at 'holding' reception - could just be the factory antenna on the Accord vs. the Audiovox add-on I had with Sirius. Programming? Sirius blows away XM IMHO. Oh well - I'm stuck w/ XM currently.

Quick Reply: Question: How good is the A6 Bose sound system?