A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

RPM hesitation at constant throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeyedoc006
No word yet. Delayed due to my mechanic's son's health problems. I should find out on Friday.
Schwarz, didn't you say you went to an '08 after this issue? Wouldn't they still be prone to the same problem?
Probably not if he changes the fluid in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines, I.e. 50k miles
Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

I did go to an '08 which now has 64k. The '08 uses the new blue fluid and new TCM software from new. Not sure if that makes a difference. And this problem does not affect everyone.

I hear a lot of people on this forum recommending fluid changes to prolong the life of the tranny and I am considering that but I am a little gun shy. I had a 2003 Hone Pilot who's tranny started acting up at around 70k miles right after a transmission fluid change. And I had a 1993 Audi 100 with auto that I ran for 130k with no transmission service. In the old days when tranny's had dipsticks you could pull it out and smell the fluid. If it smelled burnt you changed it. If it looked clear and smelled fine then you did not touch it.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I did go to an '08 which now has 64k. The '08 uses the new blue fluid and new TCM software from new. Not sure if that makes a difference. And this problem does not affect everyone.

I hear a lot of people on this forum recommending fluid changes to prolong the life of the tranny and I am considering that but I am a little gun shy. I had a 2003 Hone Pilot who's tranny started acting up at around 70k miles right after a transmission fluid change. And I had a 1993 Audi 100 with auto that I ran for 130k with no transmission service. In the old days when tranny's had dipsticks you could pull it out and smell the fluid. If it smelled burnt you changed it. If it looked clear and smelled fine then you did not touch it.
As far as I know these trans prob only affect Audi A6 05-06 models. These model years also are affect by stretched timing chain problems. Emailed Audi and made a complain, they got back at me with all those legal issues. However, if anyone experience these probs, I highly suggest writing something to Audi. As long as they are aware of it, there will be a recall being posted in the future.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

My guy thinks it may be the air flow meter based on the codes he found with VAG-COM. I'm highly skeptical. I think it's the TC based on what I've read on here, BUT he knows much more about cars than I do. I guess we'll see.

Now I've got an itch to upgrade . . . great.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

I would be very skeptical of the mechanic. Be careful assuming he is an expert. The 3.2 does not have an air flow meter.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My guy thinks it may be the air flow meter based on the codes he found with VAG-COM. I'm highly skeptical. I think it's the TC based on what I've read on here, BUT he knows much more about cars than I do. I guess we'll see.

Now I've got an itch to upgrade . . . great.
haha selling for cheap? I would take it if the price is right.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I would be very skeptical of the mechanic. Be careful assuming he is an expert. The 3.2 does not have an air flow meter.
Let me clarify: he is very knowledgeable, but he does not claim to be an expert at everything. (For example, he doesn't rebuild transmissions, etc. It's not a "hat he wears"--as he put it.)
He changed a sensor that he was calling an "air flow meter," but I'll have to ask him what the actual part was. He's a friend of mine and I know I can trust him 100%. Really.
Anyway, the car has not been fixed. He recommended to have Audi take a look at it for a second opinion before we just change the TC. The car will be going in later this week to Audi. It's frustrating that the nearest dealer is over an hour away.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
haha selling for cheap? I would take it if the price is right.
Riiight. Ha ha
Old 05-24-2012, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Talked to the service rep. They think it's just the throttle body. The service rep said the tech says it's greatly improved, and that with a little more driving it should improve further. I'm skeptical, but cautiously hoping they're right. I'm going to go pick the car up tonight, so we'll see.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

Talked to the service rep. They think it's just the throttle body. The service rep said the tech says it's greatly improved, and that with a little more driving it should improve further. I'm skeptical, but cautiously hoping they're right. I'm going to go pick the car up tonight, so we'll see.
What did they do to the throttle body?

Quick Reply: RPM hesitation at constant throttle