A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Something just dropped into my lap....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something just dropped into my lap....

So I came back after two weeks of being out of the country not having driven my A6, and after driving it I hear something loose rolling in between the headliner and the roof.

After being frustrated for 2 days, I raised (tilted) my sunroof up, closed the sunroof cover, and braked hard after accelerating...

These are the 2 pieces that dropped down...

Anybody have any idea what they are??
Old 07-18-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they are the springs that hook onto the wind deflector which is the black piece in the from portion of the sunroof that you can push down with your hand when it is open. Could be wrong though but open your sunroof and see if that piece is in the up position.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Search the forum. There have been several threads about the sunroof springs dropping "from the sky."
Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think it goes to the sunshade.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Its part of the sunroof - one fell on my head as well when I was closing the sunroof at a stop sign. Took it to the dealer and he took take of it. Interestingly, the sunroof seemed to work fine even after this thing fell off.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
Its part of the sunroof - one fell on my head as well when I was closing the sunroof at a stop sign. Took it to the dealer and he took take of it. Interestingly, the sunroof seemed to work fine even after this thing fell off.
Same here, which seems odd, however will Warranty cover this? Or is this some stupid TSB?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by am_ver
one fell on my head as well when I was closing the sunroof ....the sunroof seemed to work fine even after this thing fell off.

Believe it or not... The same thing happened to me. I have a 2005 A6 (C6). Roof seems to still work fine. tried real hard to see where it might fit with no success. Only one fell on my lap but now that i see that you have 2 pieces I am more confused. maybe 1 piece s already gone with previous owner. (my car is preowned) If anyone knows how to place these 2 pieces back..please post
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only purpose for them is to keep the wind deflector up when the sunroof is open therefore it has no impact on the operation of the sunroof. When the sunroof closes it pushes the deflector down. It looks like an easy fix in Bentley but you will probably need pics to understand the directions. So if anyone has ETKA and wants to help, feel free.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by r1racer
The only purpose for them is to keep the wind deflector up when the sunroof is open therefore it has no impact on the operation of the sunroof. When the sunroof closes it pushes the deflector down. It looks like an easy fix in Bentley but you will probably need pics to understand the directions. So if anyone has ETKA and wants to help, feel free.
There should be two of these, one on each side of the sunshade. One end latches onto a block which about midway on the shade and I'm not sure where the other end attaches. If you tilt open the window, you can look in and see the blocks on each side.

I have had mine pop off numerous times and the shop has reinstalled them. Not sure if the springs have stretched out too much or perhaps the hooks are not crimped enough.

The dealer has dealt with it each time (their cost) but I am still under warranty for another 10K.

Sometime, I'm sure Audi will have a financial issue on hand since I would not be surprised if an accident results. The last time it happened to me, I was driving on the highway, the spring popped out and hooked on my glasses. I jumped quite a bit.

If anyone can post instructions on reattaching them, I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

There's total of four springs - a pair on each side of the sunshade. The sunroof glass has to be removed to reattach the springs, and replace the attachment block (hooks) on the sunshade if needed.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2749397

Quick Reply: Something just dropped into my lap....