A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

The sub $5000 A6 Avant S-Line

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The sub $5000 A6 Avant S-Line

Here she is:

Just wanted to share, picked this up from the 2nd owner a couple weeks ago for $4950 Cdn. Dealer maintained, no accidents, with records. Came with a nice assortment of accessories, cargo cover, cargo divider, pet/cargo area screen, OEM winter mats and summer mats, and a roof rack. Needs a little TLC, but nothing that can't be cleaned up rather easily. Things on the list to do:
- Change oil/filter (done), new air filter/cabin air filter ordered
- Buy VCDS cable/software
- Find/fix oil leaks. Service records show the valve cover gaskets were done about 2 years ago, still leaking from somewhere though.
- Do a intake valve cleaning. No record of it being done, and she sometimes is a little hard to start.
- Check the timing chain using VCDS, currently not noisy and no rattle on startup, but the car does have ~125,000 miles (205,000 KM).
- Drop the transmission pan, change oil/filter.
- Replace the plate grill filler with a non-license plate version. (ordered)
- Look for some winter wheel/tires, or possibly a new summer set and mount up some winters on the stock 18's.
- Install a Navigation unit, (ordered)
- Keep an eye out for a color matched rear passenger side door. There is minor damage that is tough to see when the car is a little dirty, but the previous owner obviously ran it across something at some point and I'd like to replace it.

Anything else that comes to mind that should be looked over or addressed on these as the mileage gets up there?
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, oil leaks, the dangerous rear washer fluid leak. There's a plastic vacuum line that runs across the top of the engine and always fails, causes CEL.

How is the corrosion on the car?
Old 05-10-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, oil leaks, the dangerous rear washer fluid leak. There's a plastic vacuum line that runs across the top of the engine and always fails, causes CEL.

How is the corrosion on the car?
Cool, I'll check those out. I think the rear washer fluid leak may have been addressed at one point, one of the dealer records notes something about some recall's being done on the rear hatch, as well as addressing a water leak in the trunk area.
Corrosion wise, it's pretty clean, other than both front wheel wells at the very bottom of the rocker, it's showing minor rust, just on the rocker, not extending into the fender. Going to touch that up too.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

You're lucky if that TSB was done. The collateral damage can be significant with that leak.

Be CERTAIN you check out the bulkhead area ahead of the windshield. Tons of stuff collects in there, drains get plugged, another big mess. Sunroof drains, too.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

The TSB for the Avant leaking rear washer supply line issue is #2013209/1. I had my local dealer apply the TSB fix on my '06 A6 Avant in 2012 for a labor/parts cost of $243 w/ a $100 coupon applied to the total.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for posting the TSB number. I found it online, so should be able to investigate if it’s been done.
Did a scan today, one stored code for an engine mount.
Car had also been exhibiting a long crank when warm. Starts easy when cold, or if it’s only been off for a few minutes, but if left to sit for about 30 min or so, it’s been hard to start. Cranks a long time, and a little throttle usually helps. Any idea on this one?
Old 05-13-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also, checked my camshaft adjustment adaptations today, got the following, which if I believe what I read on the internet is just fine. True?

Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 148 Likes on 133 Posts

I just bought one of those Xtools as well, played with it for a few mins... how did you get to that screen?... the manual it came with is very “Engrish”... lol

nice price on the Avante. What yr is it?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice car. Absolutely beautiful profile from the long roof.

You're good on the timing marks... you want each side's cumulative total to be less than 8
Old 05-16-2019, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sallad
I just bought one of those Xtools as well, played with it for a few mins... how did you get to that screen?... the manual it came with is very “Engrish”... lol

nice price on the Avante. What yr is it?
RTFM? Not in this case. Recycle it, then google. I think it was Engine, measuring block 93 in this case. It’s an 07.

Quick Reply: The sub $5000 A6 Avant S-Line