A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

THROTTLE BODY ISSUE, CODE P0068, FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0068 error code,tps or MAF?

Originally Posted by beep-beep
Before taking it out you can just try to take off the big pipe and air filter and look if something was incorrectly installed and created a air leak. As you can see from my pictures the issue was in the jammed pipe.

If it does not work out, you can proceed with taking off the throttle body. But this is not a biggy as well. I think the worst part was disconnecting electric connectors.

I would warn you from doing it after beers though.
Hey guys, I have the same problem as the original thread, I am popping the p0068 code on my audi a4 3.2 sline.

Cleaned the throttle body, wasnt the issue. Doesnt look like I have any air leaks.

Car has bad idle at stop as well as when I press on the gas to 5mph. When at idle, the car almost bubbles.

Any help?

Should I replace throttle body entirely? or just clean MAF sensor? BTW, where is the MAF sensor on this car?!

THANKS GUYS!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

before you buy new MAF - check that you air filter is installed correctly. maybe you need new one.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As an update. I purchased a VAG-COM and as recommended here, removed the throttle body. Cleaned it till it shined again with MAF cleaner (there was some carbon build-up but it wasn't filthy by any means). Put the TB back on, hooked up the VAG-COM, cleared the code and followed the Ross-Tech Wiki to do the TB alignment (which was so cool!!)

It has been 2 days and I have not thrown a code yet car seems to be accelerating smoother as well. I am a happy camper again. Thank you all for the help here!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Carbon Cleaning good, but did not fix CEL!

My Check engine light (CEL) soga.

After taking my 2006 A6 3.2L into an Audi dealer in Cincinnati to replace the coils packs due to a recent recall. The check engine light (CEL) was still illuminating. I was told the CEL was due to another problem not associated with the coil packs.

They recommended a manual cleaning (de-carbonizing) of the intake valves since my vehicle had 94K miles. And to follow up and have the ECU software updated to change the valve overlap timing.

Basically, it was explained to me that the overlay timing is the time when both intake valve and exhaust valve are both open. It is during this time when oil vapor not trapped by the oil separator is combined with the flow back gases into the intake port which eventually leads to carbon buildup on the intake valve ports. Basically, I view this as a design flaw of the FSI engine, but I still love my car.

Using my VCDS (version 10.6.3) my vehicle was reporting two faults on my 2006 A6(C6) 3.2L:
1) 012410 Air Intake - Flow to Low
P307A - 009 - Open or Short to Ground
875 RPM idle
2) 000104 MAP /MAF Throttle Position Correlation
P0068 - 007- Short to Ground - MIL ON
875 RPM idle

Thus, after much research on the forum, I found a wonderful DIY post on this forum by Audi Bug titled "3.2L FSI, How to inspect carbon deposits on the intake valves and clean it". This post allow me to prepare for my carbon cleaning day.

http://account.audiworld.com/showthr...arbon+deposits

After performing this very manual cleaning process all day on a Saturday. The results proved to be significant;
- my cold engine now starts quickly (less cranking of the engine)
- my cold engine runs noticeably smoother
- Generally, the vehicle's response feels a little more perky (sorry no measurements).
Again, Thanks Audi Bug!

Although I was appreciative of the initial results after removing the carbon deposits. It was just one day later after driving around on Sunday that the CEL came BACK on! This time I witnesses the CEL coming on at Low idle.

After some bewilderment, I continued to research the forum and found this posting and my hope in turning OFF the CEL is still alive!

It is now Sunday night, I have completed procedure of cleaning the throttle body as suggested in this post. As well as completing the Ross-Tech procedure to allow the throttle control mechanism to relearn its various states (idle, partial throttle, wide open throttle).

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...Alignment_(TBA

I found this procedure very straight forward as stated earlier in the post.

Will test the results tomorrow during the work commute. At this time, I still have not performed the ECU software update.

Will keep you posted.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default CEL gone after two days

Well it has been two days, and the check engine light has not come on. Who-Dee-Whoo!

As I look back at my CEL situation. The carbon clearning was a good thing since it gave me the benifits explained above. But at this point, the root cause reason for the CEL appears to have been a throttle body which developed a carbon buildup which needed to be cleaned followed by its throttle positions having to be re-learned (or calibrated).

Gee, this leads me to the question of wether or not I need to follow through on the ECU update. It is my understanding it will change the "valve overlay timing". ($150 at Audi dealer)

Thanks for your help on this post. It really helped me when I was discouraged after the carbon cleaning did not fix the CEL. .
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bridgetown
Well it has been two days, and the check engine light has not come on. Who-Dee-Whoo!

As I look back at my CEL situation. The carbon clearning was a good thing since it gave me the benifits explained above. But at this point, the root cause reason for the CEL appears to have been a throttle body which developed a carbon buildup which needed to be cleaned followed by its throttle positions having to be re-learned (or calibrated).

Gee, this leads me to the question of wether or not I need to follow through on the ECU update. It is my understanding it will change the "valve overlay timing". ($150 at Audi dealer)

Thanks for your help on this post. It really helped me when I was discouraged after the carbon cleaning did not fix the CEL. .
Thanks for your complement and nice follow up.
That's the only way we learn about our car's problems. And we can fix ourselves or not get ripped off by repair shops including dealers.
I was going to get the TSB you mentioned to my 06 3.2FSI Quattro, but unfortunately my dealer said it applied for 2008 and after. Let me know what you find. I think it is worth paying that money if it works.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it helps at all, I had the TSB done to my 2008 3.2 after CEL, and the CEL never returned before turning the lease back in.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have had P0068 and 2279 showing up so the throttle body was cleaned and leaks where checked for but this did not fix the issue. I have searched both Ross-tech and Bentley manual (which SUCKS), but am having trouble. It says to look at what has been tried already and to look at the Manifold sensors but does not say how to test the sensors, only the wiring to the sensors. Any ideas before just swapping parts?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had following two codes and my state inspection failed. I followed this thread and codes are gone. This is my 4th day and test drive 110 miles. No CEL so far. I will take my car for inspection soon. Great help Thanks!

I wish i took a picture while doing work, but here is what i did.

Removed BIG Air hose from both sides (Air Filter and Throttle Body) and you don't need to un-blug annoying little pipes just do little move around and you have access to 4 throttle body screws.

1. Take throttle body out and clean it with MAF cleaner with tooth brush.
2. Take out MAF sensor by removing 2 screws and unblug wire. Gently clean it with MAF spray mine was dirty and had carbon built up. Note. "Be Gentle" and watch video about how to take out MAF. All car have almost similar procedure.

3. Put everything back and use VAG-COM TBA procedure, watch their youtube video at

2 Faults Found:

012410 - Air Intake System
P307A - 009 - Flow too Low
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 207171 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.03.23
Time: 21:14:48

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 800 /min
Mass Air / Rev.: 152.6 mg/str
Temperature: 46.5°C
Idle
Voltage: 13.77 V
Speed: 0.0 km/h

000104 - MAP/MAF <-> Throttle Position Correlation
P0068 - 007 -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01010010
Fault Priority: 5
Mileage: 207171 km
Date: 2012.03.23
Time: 21:14:48

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 800 /min
Mass Air / Rev.: 152.6 mg/str
Temperature: 46.5°C
Idle
Voltage: 13.67 V
Bin. Bits: 00000010

Hope it will help others.

Cheers..
Ali...
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks to everyone for posting your experiences. Using your guidance, I have successfully extinguished the CEL on my 2006 Audi A6 Avant (C6) 3.2L, 96,000 miles.

The two codes, P307A and P0068, could be produces by first clearing the codes using VCDS, and then driving a 20-minute circuit that included 5 minutes on the highway.

Cleaned Maniforld Absolute Pressure (MAP) / Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor. P307A and P0068 codes stored.

Replaced MAP/IAT sensor. P307A and P0068 codes stored.

Replaced intake air filter element; removed, cleaned and re-installed throttle body; performed Ross-Tech Throttle Body Alignment; no codes stored.

So, as long as the codes don't return, this looks like success.

I don't understand how cleaning the throttle body could change things enough to prevent the codes from recurring. But, it appears that the intake air filter was not replaced during the 65,000 mile service, as it was supposed to be.

Also, the Throttle Body Alignment showed that before alignment, Throttle Valve Sensor 1 was at 15.3%, while Throttle Valve Sensor 2 was at 85.1%. After alignment, Throttle Valve Sensor 1 was at 12.2%, while Throttle Valve Sensor 2 was at 87.8%.

The P307A and P0068 codes were produced when driving at 56 km/hr. It's hard to see how cleaning the throttle body would have a big impact on the conditions when the codes were stored.

So, I'm wondering whether replacing the intake air filter element, or performing the Throttle Body Alignment might have been the real reason for the codes not recurring.

Thanks again, I hope my experience might help others.

Here are the VCDS codes:

2 Faults Found:
012410 - Air Intake System
P307A - 009 - Flow too Low
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 2
Mileage: 154630 km
Date: 2013.02.09