A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Trailer Hitch Wiring - 2007 A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch Wiring - 2007 A6 Avant

So I am in the process of putting a hitch on my car. Well I have the hitch all attached. It was pretty easy just 2 bolts on each side to lower the exhaust hanger brackets. The instructions mentioned additional steps and special tools for getting the giant rubber thing off the exhaust hangers but I found I didn't have to. It was a curt hitch and came in two pieces - 1 large hitch and 1 small piece that attaches to the frame and the hitch. You have to torque the small piece first because you can't get to it after you put the hitch on. Just try to keep it straight as you torque it.

So here's my problem/question. I am using this wiring module kit:
https://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=119179KIT

Friend works for audi and gave me colors for wires in the rear convenience module, brown/tan connector to tap into.

My trailer module has 6 wires, red (brakes), green (right turn) yellow (left turn) and brown (lights), white (ground), and black (power from battery).

So I connected the red to my left brake convenience wire (black/white), green to the red/green wire, yellow to brown/blue (there are two of these but I got the right one), brown wire to right light wire (grey). My ground is the same ground as the convenience module and the backup camera. And I powered it on the battery with a fuse in between.

Everything seems to work when I test in the car on the trailer connector with a test light but when I hook up a trailer the daytime lights work and the left turn signal works but no brake lights and when I turn on the right turn signal the left turn signal blinks. I have tried 2 trailers with the same results so I don't think its the trailer.

The instructions mention differences between 2 wire and 3 wire cars. 2 wire being the same lights for the turn signal and brakes. Correct me if im wrong but I think that this applies to our cars with the LED tails. If so the instructions say to just ground the red wire for brake lights. I am going to try this tonight but figured I'd ask here first for some advice.

Also I didn't put a ring on my ground wire I just put the end under the cap nut on the existing ground so I guess it could have a ground problem, though I don't think so.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so got home and took the red wire out of the tap and put it in with the white wire to ground. At first it gave me a reverse light message on the dash but everything worked. Went out again now that its dark to test and it's all working, and no error message.

So it's considered a 2-wire system from my kit's perspective.

I couldn't find too much for the A6 but the Q7s i was reading people warning of errors from tapping into existing wiring vs getting the trailer control module. There seems to be an Audi trailer control module for the A6 but I already had this aftermarket one from my old car and the only one on ebay was like $70.

Anyone have an aftermarket wiring set up and have any problems?
Old 03-07-2021, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

And chance u have the pin numbers for those.. I have two plain greys and 2 blues with brown stripe.. The two greys are tied in with a red with black stripe and a black with a red stripe.. Wish audi eas more consistant with there colors from car to car lmao
Old 08-26-2023, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help needed for same issue

Any way you can take a picture of your final wiring fam?
Old 08-26-2023, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VerbNounNumber
Any way you can take a picture of your final wiring fam?
Yo I forgot all about this forum, haven't been on in like a year!!

If you read through the above posts he kind of walks you through, but here I got some pics for you

Last edited by Ktewkesbury; 08-26-2023 at 06:39 AM.