A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

upgrade exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I ordered the Magnaflow Resonator Tip, part # 35174, which is 3.5" x 4.25" and 12" long; it has the 2.25" inlet. It is a nice oval resonator to replace the rear resonator and tips, the one I held up to the car made it look quite stuffed on my 2005 4.2 Sport.

I figure that since I will only be replacing the stock resonators with the resonated tip, the sound shouldn't change too much. (but I hope it does).

The shop I ordered the parts from called and said they would be in today, so I drove into town to have them installed. I had my cam ready and everything.

Long story short, after three hours and two deliveries, the parts never showed up. I told the shop to forget it, and drove back home. Total bust.

Anyone know a a good exhaust shop in San Antonio, TX?

The tips were going to be $125 each, plus about $65 to install.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, So I found a place!
Lethal Performance in NE San Antonio. They were awesome! www.lethalperformancesatx.com

$245 for the two Magnaflow Resonator tips, $90 for the install and ~$30 for various bits.
It sounds amazing. I will post a video in a little while, but for now, here are some pics.
Attached Images    
Old 07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MXTkMBohIRY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MXTkMBohIRY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First try at a video...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BVUnjWX6t84&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BVUnjWX6t84&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Try # 2. I will try to find a set-up with a better sound recording...
Old 07-10-2009, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the pics and video. The first one sounds 'better' to me as the second video seems like it doesn't have very good sound. Almost like it's a bit 'tinny.'

I'd be curious to hear what it sounds like higher in the rev range. If it gets that raspy sound. Also, did you notice any bad drone?

I can't wait to see a few more videos. The Corsa mufflers are still on my mind, but the price point of those resonators is even better.

Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was just looking back at Jazz's pics, and it looks like you removed your muffler. Didn't this just make it crazy loud?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrCold
I was just looking back at Jazz's pics, and it looks like you removed your muffler. Didn't this just make it crazy loud?
i did the same thing Father_Flanagan did -- removed the mufflers and added straight through pipes plus quad tips. the main difference is that my setup was all staright through, while Father_Flanagan's uses magnaflow resonators.

sound was very similar (my vids are still up)-- my problem wasn't the sound on the outside (that was awesome) it was the drone on the inside.

Father_Flanagan how is the sound on the inside?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just find it so hard to believe that those little tips can provide any sort of resonating effects. I'm such a non believer!

I definately agree Jazz, your car sounded sweet on the outside. One of the main things i'm worried about is the drone on the inside (i put a lot of miles on my car and I could see the drone driving me nuts).

Hopefully we can get a trip report and see how the resonators fair vs the straight through versions you tried.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did some vids, one of the interior.

It is music to my ears on the inside, but when I cruise, it is barely noticeable. Well, that is with the A/C blowing. It's been around 102 here lately... With the radio on, I don't een hear it at 75 mph. I do hear it when excelerating, though.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Old 07-10-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, that sounds pretty damn good.

Thanks for the extra videos. Good to hear that there's no noticable drone in the car, or at least nothing major.

Now to find a good install shop in the Seattle area...

Thanks!

Quick Reply: upgrade exhaust help