A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

X-Pipe instead of factory resonators

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Pipe instead of factory resonators

Has anyone replaced the factory resonators (directly upstream of the rear mufflers) with an x-pipe? I am looking for a little increase in exhaust volume while on the throttle, but want a quiet ride when I am just cruising, without any drone on the highway. Just wondering if this has been done before by somebody on this forum. I noticed it seemed to be a popular exhaust mod for the S6 crowd, but I couldn't find anyone who has done it with the A6 4.2.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've done it to my A6 3.0T and it made minimal exhaust note change. The rear mufflers on the A6 really silence the car the most. I have a Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Remus exhaust and out of all the setups i have done this sounds the best.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=dluxxx;24976556]I've done it to my A6 3.0T and it made minimal exhaust note change. The rear mufflers on the A6 really silence the car the most. I have a Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Remus exhaust and out of all the setups i have done this sounds the best.

That exhaust sounds great! Unfortunately, as far as I know, Remus does not make an exhaust for the A6 4.2. I am planning on keeping the stock rear mufflers and having my exhaust shop fab up an x-pipe that is not resonated, so maybe it will make a slightly bigger difference in sound than the Magnaflow resonated X-pipe.

Here is a clip of an A5 with the 4.2 and the exact same setup that I am going for. Hopefully mine will sound similar.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE: I went to my local exhaust shop yesterday and had him take a look at my car, and he suggested that since there is already an H-Pipe section in the factory exhaust, that he would recommend just deleting the resonators with straight pipe. He said adding an X-Pipe in replacement of the H-Pipe would change the pitch of the exhaust note to be higher, and H-Pipes are generally lower in pitch. I was quoted $60-80 for the job so I will have it done later today. I'll post once it is done for anyone interested.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Res delete

I also have the H pipe on my stock 3.0 tfsi A5

interested to know how this sounds with straight pipe? (Removing the centre resonator)
Old 08-26-2020, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 154 Likes on 138 Posts

The one with the Remus exhaust sounds great!
Old 08-27-2020, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Res delete

Res delete with stock h pipe
Old 08-27-2020, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default YouTube of new res delete

Here is my res delete with stock H pipe everything else stock + stage 1 tune bringing it to 300kw

Old 08-27-2020, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 154 Likes on 138 Posts

That also sounds nice... not as “crisp” sounding, but still way better than stock. And it’s a cheaper.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dluxxx
I've done it to my A6 3.0T and it made minimal exhaust note change. The rear mufflers on the A6 really silence the car the most. I have a Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Remus exhaust and out of all the setups i have done this sounds the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9816-PQnXI
I removed my rear mufflers and added small resonators and removed the resonators just before the rear mufflers and it's super raspy. The factory system has a X pipe already. So did you add another x pipe before the rear mufflers??

Quick Reply: X-Pipe instead of factory resonators