A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

$1600 brake service

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1600 brake service

I got a warning for "replace brake pads." Called the local dealer, was quoted $1586.60 pre-tax. They charge $800 for front pads and rotors, and $400 for rear pads and rotors. Comparatively, labor was relatively reasonable at $200 per axle ($400 total). I ordered Akebono euro pads for front and rear for $160 total, but the dealer won't install anything other than OEM. A well-regarded indy mechanic could not get the rear caliper (emergency brake) off, so have to search for another mechanic. This is becoming much more complicated than I expected.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Obviously the well-regarded indy isn't well-regarded after all, because anyone who has experience with Audis should have the software capable of disengaging parking brakes.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ing_Brake_(EPB)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know, it's these worthless yelp and google reviews, was surprised he couldn't handle.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by austin2012a7
could not get the rear caliper (emergency brake) off
Lets hope he did not screw up the rear electro brake mechanism trying to get it off. Its very expensive.

I caution you about reusing the front rotors. Audi factory rotors are very soft iron and prone to grooving. I have had a bunch of Audis and I have never seen rotors at 40-50k that were in great shape. If your car has 40K plus miles, new rotors would be a good, cheap investment. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. About $100 each aftermarket for good one and it only takes a REAL GERMAN CAR MECHANIC a few more minutes to put on new rotors. NOTHING stops and performs like new pads and rotors. The last couple Audi break jobs I have done with the performance Stop Tech rotors. And also used the Akebono pads - which many Audi owners use and swear by.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Stop Tech rotors. And also used the Akebono pads

Newby here.

What is your estimate of cost for parts and labor?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After another mechanic could not do the rear electronic emergency brake release, took it by a German auto specialty shop. Quote was $550 for front and $450 for rear using my Akebono pads, and including their rotors (I only pre-ordered pads). Recall, dealer was $1600 pre-tax incl. their pads (~$150 total after-market), so about $450 savings. Two prior mainstream indies quoted me ~$1200 so basically it looks like $1200-$1700 is the going rate to replace brake pads and rotors on an A7. It was a learning experience, but frankly if I had to do it all over again, would have taken it to the dealer, as the hassle of shopping around and wasting hours leaving the car with some clueless indies was not worth the savings. But now that I've already done the legwork, am hoping the German specialty shop does a good job, and can just do all my maintenance intervals with them as well.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Number_Six
Stop Tech rotors. And also used the Akebono pads

Newby here.
What is your estimate of cost for parts and labor?

I'm busy searching for an A7 and everything seems to be in the 40k - 50k mileage range.
I'm busy soaking up everything I can from y'all about the car to see what kind of maintenance or repairs I can expect after my initial purchase with this kind of mileage and brakes/rotors seems to be high on the list of expenses.

Thanks.
Labor for brakes seem to be $400-$600. Pads and rotors if you get them yourself are cheap, $600 all in. Tires are about $300/piece. Consumer Reports show Audi as third most expensive brand to own, with owners spending an average of $955/year on maintenance/repairs. BMW and Mercedes were the only two more expensive to operate at $1125 and $1085, respectively. Comparatively, Toyota and Hyundai, which make bullet-proof cars cost $400/year to operate. Surprisingly, Lexus is also really cost efficient to maintain at $590/year.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...car-ownership/
Old 10-30-2017, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

About the same quote for me 6 months ago. I took it to an independent shop and they changed the pads + labor for around $300. Rotors were fine.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer quote for pads and rotors $1600, independent shop $1050 using all OEM parts. I have found the OEM parts to be the most reliable on my 2003 A4 as Zimmer rotors seemed to warp for me on that car very quickly, the OEM ones not ever.I know that my experience runs contrary to most folks who swear by various aftermarket.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my brakes several weeks ago. Posted some pics on here. I went through the same research you did.
At 30K miles (or so) my rotors were toast and the passenger rear pad was about 2 quick stops away from being metal on metal contact.
Audi quote with tax approx. $1800. Reputable independent mechanic quoted $900 total (new pads, rotors, hardware, sensors, brake fluid flush).
R1Concepts rotors, pads, hardware and sensors, IIRC, were a bit over $500. Ross-Tech software and cable to properly retract the EPB (electronic parking brake) was extra but worth it. Took me a weekend but totally worth it. Next time will most likely only take a couple hours.
The best part of the process was bedding in the new pads to the rotors and watching the smoke rising up from the brakes. I thought that was kinda cool ....lol.

Quick Reply: $1600 brake service