A7 Engine Noise - Urgent help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Engine Noise - Urgent help

Hey guys,

hope you all are well. So here’s my sad story

I bought this A7 2011 Model 3.0 TFSI Quattro yesterday. When i went to check the car it was cold so i started it up it started up very nicely no extra sound or something the car then was on idle for the next 2/3 hours still was very smooth no sound or anything. Then the next morning i bought the car drove it to my home around 500km for 4 hours still it was all fine. No extra sound or anything. Till now i’ve driven this car since 9am till 6pm

Then i took the car to a regular car was just to get the exterior & interior cleaned. The engine wasnt even touched

But since then i’m having this weird noise which is coming & going. The car still runs fine, there’s no missing or the car is not losing power as well but you can hear in the video the sound gets louder then back to normal then louder then back to normal

any guess what it could be? Since mostly mechanics in my city they’re not experienced much so i would like to get an idea what’s wrong then convey it to my mech

The noise is more like the car is breathing

Here’s the link

Old 10-24-2019, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Does the noise change if you rev the engine up to a higher RPM or does it stay the same?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Does the noise change if you rev the engine up to a higher RPM or does it stay the same?

It stays the same. If i rev it around 2,500 3k the sound goes away. We already checked pullies by removing the belt but it didnt help. Its coming somewhere from inside the engine

i showed it to two mechanics one said the turbo/supecharge on the top is making this noise i can drive it. There’s some plastic in it which can break sometimes

the other mech said its coming from the timing chain pully, camshaft & i should not drive the car

Please help!
Old 10-24-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

If the sound does not change when you increase the RPM than it can not be coming from the timing chain or camshaft, because the sound would be changing (getting a higher pitch) as the revolutions increase.

So the sound has to be coming from some component that is not related to the engine RPM, like an electric motor driven assembly that stays at the same constant speed.
The following users liked this post:
Sledgehammer_1 (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

uh that sounds like a chain clatter. and if it goes away at higher RPM that would indicate that it is something driven by the engine. I'd be slightly concerned. Could be broken timing chain guides.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sledgehammer_1
uh that sounds like a chain clatter. and if it goes away at higher RPM that would indicate that it is something driven by the engine. I'd be slightly concerned. Could be broken timing chain guides.

Its very confusing because the car drives so smooth as if nothing is wrong with it.

every mech i show it to gives different opinion & i’m clueless what this sound is about. It does goes away at higher RPM however my RPM is very stable like i mentioned before the car is not misfiring or any such thing nor it feels like its under powered.

i’m also guessing it might have something to do with the chains but like the previous member commented if it had to do something with chain won’t the sound increase as i rev up? Or won’t the car act weird or show any other sign?