A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2012 Audi A7 or 2014 Cadillac CTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Audi A7 or 2014 Cadillac CTS

Hi everyone from Audiworld, glad to join this forums. My 2004 Hyundai XG350 is breaking down so I'm looking for a new ride. One of my friend is selling his 2012 Audi A7 premium plus with 91,000 miles on it, he is asking $19,000 for it. I've been in this car and absolutely love the look and the ride quality, However I have never owned an Audi or any German cars before, so I'm little worried to just buy it. Do you guys think 91k miles is too many on this car? How much money will I be spending for maintenance and repair? And what price do you guys think I can resell it for after like 3 years? Also for around the same price there is a 2014 Cadillac CTS with 60,000 miles, it seemed like a nice car too, anyone has experience with this model? Any input or advise will be greatly appreciated, thank you guys so much!

Sincerely,

Kyle
Old 03-03-2019, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Ainiwaer
Hi everyone from Audiworld, glad to join this forums. My 2004 Hyundai XG350 is breaking down so I'm looking for a new ride. One of my friend is selling his 2012 Audi A7 premium plus with 91,000 miles on it, he is asking $19,000 for it. I've been in this car and absolutely love the look and the ride quality, However I have never owned an Audi or any German cars before, so I'm little worried to just buy it. Do you guys think 91k miles is too many on this car? How much money will I be spending for maintenance and repair? And what price do you guys think I can resell it for after like 3 years? Also for around the same price there is a 2014 Cadillac CTS with 60,000 miles, it seemed like a nice car too, anyone has experience with this model? Any input or advise will be greatly appreciated, thank you guys so much!

Sincerely,

Kyle
I went from a 2004 XG350 to a 2012 A7, which I traded for a 2015 A7 TDI when the diesel became available. It was a great decision, no regrets whatsoever.

Audi and Cadillac are two completely different worlds. German designed and built cars are just more refined, more precision, more reliable. Parts do cost more but the customer service experience is far better (though that may be depending on the dealership you deal with).

I wouldn't even look at the Cadillac.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your input fkaufman! I really want the A7, only thing worrying me is the high mileage, did you experience any problems? And how much do you normally spend on maintenance and service? Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you for your input fkaufman! I really want the A7, only thing worrying me is the high mileage, did you experience any problems? And how much do you normally spend on maintenance and service? Thanks again.
The only items I ever paid money for were the scheduled maintenance service (which I get religiously done when due), brakes (due to normal wear) and tires. Small items like replacing a light bulb I do myself.

All in all, the cars were very reliable. I am told one could reasonably expect 150000 miles from a TFSI and 250000 from a TDI without any major unexpected issues. Key is to have the recommended maintenance items done properly on time.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

We bought our 2012 A7 this past summer with 142k miles on it. I’m at 160k now and loving it. Oil change at 145 and again at 155 is the normal maintenance I have done to it. I put front pads on it within the first few thousand miles because I was having problems with the passenger caliper hanging up on the guide pins but otherwise I have had problem free miles with it. It uses some oil like most of the 3.0 V6s and this summer I might go after the PCV oil separator under the supercharger but I might just keep some oil on hand and not try to pull the supercharger.

I do do my own maintenance so labor is usually free. I picked up a oil suction pump to do my own oil changes to save a bunch of money. I can do my own oil every 10k for under $50 rather than $200 at the dealer
Old 03-08-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sincerely,

Kyle
I bought my 1st Audi last year and will buy another one and another. They are so smooth and refined I'd probably never buy fro another manufacturer, especially made in the US. My wife was all about getting a BMW until she drove my A7. Now, she wants to keep my A7 and me buy another one in a few years.