A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2013 A7 - Not happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
The A7 may not be a Porsche 911, however let's look at the CNET and MotorTrend reviews you mentioned. MT even likes the steering better than the A6 or BMW 5 Series.

Here are CNET's comments on the A7's steering:
The steering feels pleasantly powered, making for easy turning even if the car is stopped.

Like many sport luxury cars, the A7 lessens power assist for its steering system as speed increases, to enhance road-feel. But Audi leans toward a luxury feel, even when the car is in its Dynamic setting. As such, the steering always feels a little too easy, lacking serious engagement.

MotorTrend:
Speaking of steering, unlike the A4 and A5, which use a power hydraulic rack, the A7 boasts a new electromechanical system that consumes no energy when the vehicle is moving straight. That helps lower fuel economy, according to Audi. Further, the new steering serves up some of the best feel and linearity from any Audi to date, and doesn't suffer from the extreme light-to-heavy transition that we felt in our long-term A4 Avant when switching from comfort to sport in ADS.

[The new A7 drives better than other big Audis. The handling, and specifically the steering feel, is a major improvement over the A8 we played with last summer and the soon-to-be-launched-here-in-the-States A6. Yes, it's a bit over-boosted in dynamic mode, and downright sloppy in comfort. But dynamic mode's not bad, and the A7's steering feels just slightly better than a contemporary BMW 5 Series,
Have to agree with the CNET review. This past month I've driven an A4, Q5, Passat and even a new Accord - all felt tighter and had better road feedback.

Anybody know if there's any way to tweak the steering boost down a notch?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VectorA7
Thanks for the suggestion. How does one reset the tranny? VCDS? Or something more physical?
Dealer did it for me, but if your car is brand new I believe you should drive it more first.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did test drive the A7 before you purchased it - right?
My thoughts exactly...
Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

The A7 may not be a Porsche 911, however let's look at the CNET and MotorTrend reviews you mentioned. MT even likes the steering better than the A6 or BMW 5 Series.

MotorTrend:

..The handling, and specifically the steering feel, is a major improvement over the A8 we played with last summer and the soon-to-be-launched-here-in-the-States A6...
I don't agree with the article comment that the "soon to be released" C7 A6 steering is inferior in any way to the A7 (the A6 hadn't even been released in the U.S. yet) . My understanding is they are identically designed in this regard. I drove an A7 for two days when my A6 was being serviced and the I observed the steering as well as the engine, transmission, electronics and brakes all felt and operated the same.

While I can't comment on the other models mentioned, I would agree the B8 A4, at least, had a somewhat more responsive steering (I owned one) but that makes sense as the A4 is a smaller, lighter car than the C7's which are designed for a different market segment.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I knew you were going to jump in - if anyone said anything about the A6, one should expect snagitseven to appear. LOL!

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I don't agree with the article comment that the "soon to be released" C7 A6 steering is inferior in any way to the A7 (the A6 hadn't even been released in the U.S. yet) . My understanding is they are identically designed in this regard. I drove an A7 for two days when my A6 was being serviced and the I observed the steering as well as the engine, transmission, electronics and brakes all felt and operated the same.

While I can't comment on the other models mentioned, I would agree the B8 A4, at least, had a somewhat more responsive steering (I owned one) but that makes sense as the A4 is a smaller, lighter car than the C7's which are designed for a different market segment.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

"Lower life form?"

Thanks for the troll comment - always appreciate hearing from a lower life form. During the 3 test drives with 3 different A7s, the steering was mushy, but not as uneven as my purchased vehicle. Which is why I suspect the tires - Eagle LS-2. Going to give them another 1000 miles to see if they get any better, or then just swap them out Michelin MXV4's.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aquarian
I knew you were going to jump in - if anyone said anything about the A6, one should expect snagitseven to appear. LOL!
More like snagitsix instead of snagitseven
Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the troll comment - always appreciate hearing from a lower life form. During the 3 test drives with 3 different A7s, the steering was mushy, but not as uneven as my purchased vehicle. Which is why I suspect the tires - Eagle LS-2. Going to give them another 1000 miles to see if they get any better, or then just swap them out Michelin MXV4's.
OK, someone with no posting history comes on the forum complaining that their new A7 had mushy steering, choppy transmission, and mediocre brakes. Most normal people test drive a car first to determine if it meets their requirements.

A suspected a troll or a fool.

I guessed the former.

Your response confirmed you are the later.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. How does one reset the tranny? VCDS? Or something more physical?
Do you need vagcom inorder to reset?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RE/MAX-Evolution/A7
Do you need vagcom inorder to reset?
I don't think the vagcom can do it, the dealer computer can.

Quick Reply: 2013 A7 - Not happy