A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

24 hr Test Drive A7 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else here other than A7SD have the sports suspension and if so, would you mind sharing insight/experience?

I know A7SD is lovin' it...anyone else?

Also, does anyone know what suspension parts are different than in the standard suspension? Coils, sway bars etc.?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is really interesting. Even when I am in Dynamic Mode of Drive Select, I feel a distinct difference between the S and D modes of the transmission. Feels like the car has more punch to it and it definitely holds on to the gears longer when in S mode vs. D mode(with Dynamic Mode of Drive Select). I really should read the manual!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Anyone else here other than A7SD have the sports suspension and if so, would you mind sharing insight/experience?

I know A7SD is lovin' it...anyone else?

Also, does anyone know what suspension parts are different than in the standard suspension? Coils, sway bars etc.?
I have the sports suspension -- love it! Got it primarily cause I love to take fast turns and not worry about body roll. Of course, I have no other frame of reference ( i.e., non sports suspension) so this is subjective...
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rbats
I have the sports suspension -- love it! Got it primarily cause I love to take fast turns and not worry about body roll. Of course, I have no other frame of reference ( i.e., non sports suspension) so this is subjective...
Do you have the 19" or 20" sports package? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
There are 2 things that we are talking about:

1) Dynamic Mode of Drive Select
- Throttle response, transmission, steering wheel, and seat belt tensioner are affected

2) S-mode of the transmission
- This is activated by selecting the Dynamic Mode OR pulling the lever down briefly in any mode of Drive Select

You can be in the Comfort mode and still be in S-mode for the transmission for the sporty feel without steering wheel being tight, and so forth.

I hope this makes sense.
I believe you could further clarify that the S-mode on the shifter will be the same as the ADS Dynamic mode for both transmission AND throttle response, even if in the ADS Comfort mode. The steering weight and seat belt tensioners are the only things the shifter S-mode will not override the ADS settings. Now if only the ADS adjusted the suspension in the U.S. .....sigh.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbats
This is really interesting. Even when I am in Dynamic Mode of Drive Select, I feel a distinct difference between the S and D modes of the transmission. Feels like the car has more punch to it and it definitely holds on to the gears longer when in S mode vs. D mode(with Dynamic Mode of Drive Select). I really should read the manual!
The RPMs are quite a bit higher. I now default to DS mode ...
Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Following this discussion, I got interested and did some experimentation. I had always drove the car in the default D mode, so I got quite familiar with the behavior that way.

When I switch to the S mode by tipping the shifter, the shift points move, the car gets much "jumpier" and the RPM is at a higher level practically all the time.

The displayed average fuel consumption is also much higher than in the D mode.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I believe you could further clarify that the S-mode on the shifter will be the same as the ADS Dynamic mode for both transmission AND throttle response, even if in the ADS Comfort mode. The steering weight and seat belt tensioners are the only things the shifter S-mode will not override the ADS settings. Now if only the ADS adjusted the suspension in the U.S. .....sigh.

Can you give reference for S-mode of the transmission to include throttle response as well? Because I don't think that's the case.

According to Audi of America:

Audi A7 has "Eight-speed Tiptronic® automatic transmission with DSP (Dynamic Shift Program) and quattro® all-wheel drive"

Dynamic Shift Program - according to Audi of America "The Dynamic Shift Program (DSP) is part of automatic and Tiptronic® transmissions (the multitronic® has a Dynamic Regulating Program (DRP)). It reduces the driver’s workload, particularly in stop-and-go traffic. DSP independently selects the optimum driving range. The transmission automatically recognizes the vehicle’s driving characteristics and adapts its shift strategy to the prevailing conditions. DSP-controlled transmissions are also very easy to maintain and, for example, do not need transmission oil changes."

Last edited by aquarian; 12-08-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Following this discussion, I got interested and did some experimentation. I had always drove the car in the default D mode, so I got quite familiar with the behavior that way.

When I switch to the S mode by tipping the shifter, the shift points move, the car gets much "jumpier" and the RPM is at a higher level practically all the time.

The displayed average fuel consumption is also much higher than in the D mode.
Yep, even in Dynamic Drive Select the Sport mode is like a tiger ready to pounce compared to Drive mode.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
Can you give reference for S-mode of the transmission to include throttle response as well? Because I don't think that's the case.

According to Audi of America:

Audi A7 has "Eight-speed Tiptronic® automatic transmission with DSP (Dynamic Shift Program) and quattro® all-wheel drive"

Dynamic Shift Program - according to Audi of America "The Dynamic Shift Program (DSP) is part of automatic and Tiptronic® transmissions (the multitronic® has a Dynamic Regulating Program (DRP)). It reduces the driver’s workload, particularly in stop-and-go traffic. DSP independently selects the optimum driving range. The transmission automatically recognizes the vehicle’s driving characteristics and adapts its shift strategy to the prevailing conditions. DSP-controlled transmissions are also very easy to maintain and, for example, do not need transmission oil changes."
In every other Audi I've driven, including the three I've owned, the S-mode on the shifter affects both the throttle response and gear shift points. While I can't say for sure this would be different in the new models, the Tiptronic description you've included seems to address the transmission design only and not what occurs completely in the "S" Sport mode. While it's certainly possible the S-mode in the new A6/A7 is different in this respect, so far as I know, it would be a first for Audi and I would stand corrected.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-08-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 24 hr Test Drive A7 Premium Plus