A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 or S7

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 or S7

Hi

I look for a used A7 3,0 TFSI or a S7, my question is should I use the extra money on S7, is it worth?

And how are people feeling, should i buy the 310hp or 333hp and if it’s the A7 or if it’s the S7 420hp or 450 hp.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I am driving a golf from 1998, so it’s a big step for me.

/Ole
Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Oledenmark
Hi

I look for a used A7 3,0 TFSI or a S7, my question is should I use the extra money on S7, is it worth?

And how are people feeling, should i buy the 310hp or 333hp and if it’s the A7 or if it’s the S7 420hp or 450 hp.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I am driving a golf from 1998, so it’s a big step for me.

/Ole
As an individual who has owned both, I'd go S7 without a doubt. It was hard for me to understand all the hype behind the V8. Though it sounds obvious, more power, I was content in a V6. But now having the S7, I get it. The rumbling of the engine as you accelerate is exhilarating. Couldn't imagine going back to be honest. It's purely fun to drive. Puts a smile on my face each time. Also keep in mind that the V8 platform is apparently being discontinued so you'd be enjoying the last of a dying breed.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Currently we have an A7 (MY15) and previous car was also an A7 (MY12). While vacationing in Europe this Summer we rented an S7 (MY16) for 10 days from Sixt. My ulterior motive with renting the S7 was to see what my wife would say when it comes time to trade next year.

Visually both the cars are very similar. The interior of the S7 has the quilted seats (if selected), but besides some minor trim changes they are nearly identical. The one item on the interior of the S7 that really disappointed me was the paddles behind the steering wheel were just chrome painted plastic. Given the performance aspect of the car these should have been metal in my opinion. They would feel so much better.

For the exterior the S7 sits a bit lower and some minor changes elsewhere (tail pipes, mirror housing, badging, etc...), but visually not much difference here either.

All that said... The performance of the S7 is on another level from the A7. Not only straight-line, but braking and overall handling. Don't get me wrong the S7 is not going to carve up winding roads as its too portly, but driving the Alpine passes in Austria and Italy the car was sublime. We did European delivery of our MY15 A7 so had that car on the same roads as the S7 and still would say the S7 is well worth the extra cash. Pain and simple a lot more fun.

The other aspect of the S7 I wasn't expected was the exhaust note. Its glorious. While not on the same level as the Merc E63 we rented last year, the S7 sounds great and I had endless thrills in tunnels and downshifting while nailing the throttle. Even moving through urban cities the car had a nice rumble and a quick stab of the throttle resulted in a nice bark of the exhaust. Going over the Alps with the car in sport mode and the exhaust at full chatter was great fun.

The twin-turbo mill in the car did have some lag and more than I was expecting. With the super-charger in the A7 the lag is less, but when the boast kicks in on the S7 you will feel it...

The other obvious downsides on the S7 is fuel cost, depreciation and maintenance.

For me living in Chicago and already having a 911 GTS for the fun drives I don't think I would get the S7 over the A7. However, if I only needed one car the S7 would fit the bill perfectly.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have a 3.0 TDI here. I would definitely go with a S7, if you somehow can go RS7, do it. The 3.0 TFSI is modifiable, but it'll get you to around 500 hp maxed out, where as a S7 4.0 v8, get a tune and you'll already be at 500 hp. I got kids that are always wanting to race me in BMWs, with a TDI 240hp, pretty sure most performance cars can out run me.

For me, the RS7 is the next step. Has some unicorn juice that makes more power than the S7
Old 10-18-2017, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gema7
As an individual who has owned both, I'd go S7 without a doubt. It was hard for me to understand all the hype behind the V8. Though it sounds obvious, more power, I was content in a V6. But now having the S7, I get it. The rumbling of the engine as you accelerate is exhilarating. Couldn't imagine going back to be honest. It's purely fun to drive. Puts a smile on my face each time. Also keep in mind that the V8 platform is apparently being discontinued so you'd be enjoying the last of a dying breed.
Hi Gema7

Thank you so much for reply, it was just a guy like you i was hoping to answer, one who have been driving both. And your answer is very clear.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
Currently we have an A7 (MY15) and previous car was also an A7 (MY12). While vacationing in Europe this Summer we rented an S7 (MY16) for 10 days from Sixt. My ulterior motive with renting the S7 was to see what my wife would say when it comes time to trade next year.

Visually both the cars are very similar. The interior of the S7 has the quilted seats (if selected), but besides some minor trim changes they are nearly identical. The one item on the interior of the S7 that really disappointed me was the paddles behind the steering wheel were just chrome painted plastic. Given the performance aspect of the car these should have been metal in my opinion. They would feel so much better.

For the exterior the S7 sits a bit lower and some minor changes elsewhere (tail pipes, mirror housing, badging, etc...), but visually not much difference here either.

All that said... The performance of the S7 is on another level from the A7. Not only straight-line, but braking and overall handling. Don't get me wrong the S7 is not going to carve up winding roads as its too portly, but driving the Alpine passes in Austria and Italy the car was sublime. We did European delivery of our MY15 A7 so had that car on the same roads as the S7 and still would say the S7 is well worth the extra cash. Pain and simple a lot more fun.

The other aspect of the S7 I wasn't expected was the exhaust note. Its glorious. While not on the same level as the Merc E63 we rented last year, the S7 sounds great and I had endless thrills in tunnels and downshifting while nailing the throttle. Even moving through urban cities the car had a nice rumble and a quick stab of the throttle resulted in a nice bark of the exhaust. Going over the Alps with the car in sport mode and the exhaust at full chatter was great fun.

The twin-turbo mill in the car did have some lag and more than I was expecting. With the super-charger in the A7 the lag is less, but when the boast kicks in on the S7 you will feel it...

The other obvious downsides on the S7 is fuel cost, depreciation and maintenance.

For me living in Chicago and already having a 911 GTS for the fun drives I don't think I would get the S7 over the A7. However, if I only needed one car the S7 would fit the bill perfectly.

Hi ChicagoA6

Thank you so much for your answer and its perfect you have driven both cars, it seems that i have to pay the extra and buy S7 and perfect the sound is good too, i was a little afraid it was to "clean", this i could be a little afraid of, and yes its hard to beat the AMG 63, it has a fantastic sound, but the Audi can beat the Mercedes on the interior as i see it.

/Ole
Old 10-18-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BurntToast
Have a 3.0 TDI here. I would definitely go with a S7, if you somehow can go RS7, do it. The 3.0 TFSI is modifiable, but it'll get you to around 500 hp maxed out, where as a S7 4.0 v8, get a tune and you'll already be at 500 hp. I got kids that are always wanting to race me in BMWs, with a TDI 240hp, pretty sure most performance cars can out run me.

For me, the RS7 is the next step. Has some unicorn juice that makes more power than the S7
Hi BurntToast.

Tnx for the inout, but for me it will now max be the S7, my business has to be better before RS7

Have a nice day
Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

so i guess it depends....budget/what you're looking for etc - i just bought a 2012 A7 after very reluctantly trading in my C63. Needed more room in the back for my daughter who is already over 5ft tall. When i bought it i asked "am i going to be disappointed in the power coming out of multiple big german V8s?" and he said "no, its quick enough stock but with a tune its a beast".

So i drove both the A7 and an S7 - both stock. The S7 is obviously 'faster' and has 'better' brakes and chassis tuning etc. I went with the A7 taking his word regarding the tune. I had the ECU re-flashed with the APR stage 1 and Injen intake (with factory box in place so lessen heat-soak) and i'm VERY happy with it. Night and day difference. I don't know if its a S7 beater...but it'd probably be close
Old 10-27-2017, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only money stopped me from buying an S. I actually considered an S6 versus the A7 as it was closer in price. But all I do with my daily driver is commute to work in Houston. I've had both a 2015 and 2016 A7. I did not expect to feel the extra 23 HP, but was pleasantly surprised that it is significantly faster. But the truth is that they are both close enough that it just depends on what it's worth to you. I was very happy with the 310 hp engine.

Last edited by jjsC6; 10-27-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by deeepsix
so i guess it depends....budget/what you're looking for etc - i just bought a 2012 A7 after very reluctantly trading in my C63. Needed more room in the back for my daughter who is already over 5ft tall. When i bought it i asked "am i going to be disappointed in the power coming out of multiple big german V8s?" and he said "no, its quick enough stock but with a tune its a beast".

So i drove both the A7 and an S7 - both stock. The S7 is obviously 'faster' and has 'better' brakes and chassis tuning etc. I went with the A7 taking his word regarding the tune. I had the ECU re-flashed with the APR stage 1 and Injen intake (with factory box in place so lessen heat-soak) and i'm VERY happy with it. Night and day difference. I don't know if its a S7 beater...but it'd probably be close

Hi deeepsix

Tnx for your reply, its very interesting to hear what you have done, this makes one think if i should use the extra money on a S7. Tnx i will have to check what i can get and do.

/Ole

Quick Reply: A7 or S7