A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 TDI post-fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A7 TDI post-fix

My A7 had the fix applied on Tuesday, but unlike AudiRob16 I haven't had a chance to do a long road trip yet.
However, one difference I have noticed already is the trip computer's calculated MPG now appears worse on my drive into work. On the two trips thus far it's estimating about 24 MPG whereas before the fix it'd routinely show well over 30 MPG. But I basically drive downhill with an elevation decrease of 1,100 feet into town so the engine is mostly in warm-up mode all the way in. Drive home (up hill of course) the MPG seems about the same. Engine seems maybe a tad bit noisier driving around town but definitely still has that diesel torque punch whenever it's needed. Also, it is still auto-downshifting when going downhill, but seems less likely to do so when the engine is not warmed up.
So my overall impression is that it drives about the same with the engine warmed up, but the post-fix warm-up mode is noticeably different from pre-fix warm-up mode. And it'll be several weeks before the next diesel fill-up at which point I'll have a more accurate number for average MPG.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Post-fix MPG

I got curious and decided to fill up today after using 1/2 tank of diesel post-fix. Hand calculated overall average was 21.5 MPG.
This is consistent with numbers I’d see pre-fix for similar driving pattern. So that’s encouraging.

Last edited by A7_TDI; 01-30-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by A7_TDI
My A7 had the fix applied on Tuesday, but unlike AudiRob16 I haven't had a chance to do a long road trip yet.
However, one difference I have noticed already is the trip computer's calculated MPG now appears worse on my drive into work. On the two trips thus far it's estimating about 24 MPG whereas before the fix it'd routinely show well over 30 MPG. But I basically drive downhill with an elevation decrease of 1,100 feet into town so the engine is mostly in warm-up mode all the way in. Drive home (up hill of course) the MPG seems about the same. Engine seems maybe a tad bit noisier driving around town but definitely still has that diesel torque punch whenever it's needed. Also, it is still auto-downshifting when going downhill, but seems less likely to do so when the engine is not warmed up.
So my overall impression is that it drives about the same with the engine warmed up, but the post-fix warm-up mode is noticeably different from pre-fix warm-up mode. And it'll be several weeks before the next diesel fill-up at which point I'll have a more accurate number for average MPG.
VW/Audi Canada announced a week ago that they have also reached an agreement (subject to court approval in April). I got the official notification, and it includes the following:

HOW WILL THE EMISSIONS COMPLIANT REPAIR AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE OF
MY GENERATION TWO VEHICLE?

As part of the 3.0L Settlement, Volkswagen has represented that the Emissions Compliant Repair
will not result in Reduced Performance. Reduced Performance means a change in any of the
following performance attributes:
(1) a reduction in calculated fuel economy using the U.S. EPA formula of more than 3 miles per gallon (MPG);
(2) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak horsepower; or
(3) decrease of greater than 5% peak torque.
These attributes were measured by Volkswagen Group according to industry standards when it submitted
the Emissions Compliant Repair to the U.S. EPA.

In the event that an Emissions Compliant Repair causes Reduced Performance, Volkswagen will
make an additional payment of $500 for each affected Generation Two vehicle.

If an Emissions Compliant Repair causes substantial, material adverse degradation above and
beyond the Reduced Performance levels specified above, affected Settlement Class Members
reserve their right to seek, and Volkswagen reserves its right to oppose, additional remedies from
the Courts.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A7_TDI
My purely subjective non-scientific post-fix observations :
1. It's definitely noisier, but not offensively so. My wife also noticed this after her first post-fix drive the other day.
2. No noticeable performance hit - if anything, I thought it had a bit more oomph, but that was probably wishful thinking.
3. I'm happy to note that the downhill down-shifting has not been affected, despite rumors to the contrary.
4. I haven't refueled, or driven any distance over 40 miles, since the fix was installed 3 weeks ago, so I don't have any mpg data.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first post on this forum. I am flying into Midway (MDW) tonight to pick up a low mileage 2016 A7 Prestige TDI (16K miles) tomorrow morning, then drive it home (to Oklahoma City) tomorrow. Should get in around midnight, (and will get a real time look at my fuel mileage.) The car is for my wife and will replace her 2003 Passat W8. I drive a Porsche Panamera Turbo, so the Audi will make a great looking stablemate to the panny.

Ironically, this thread is the first I had heard of the Audi's being affected by the VW TDI recall program, so I checked out several links and read all about it. My son had a VW Jetta he sold back to VW at a several thousand dollar profit. (After reading all the options for owners of these VWs and Audis, I think VW is more than fair on their mitigation to owners.) But back to my A7.

I found it on Car Guru at the Audi Exchange in Highland Park IL. I shopped nationwide to find my Porsche, and ended up finding what I wanted at Ultimo Motorsports in Westmont IL, so I was comfortable with this process looking for an Audi for my wife. This particular car was listed as $12K below "market value" and considered a "great deal" by Car Guru. After haggling a bit with the dealership, I got another $1K knocked off and am out the door for $53K, and two sets of wheels and tires (summer and winter.) Checking other sites like AutoTrader, etc I found similar TDIs for $66K (in TX) or there about, with similar mileage. I was curious as to why I was able to buy this car for 12-13 thousand less than some of these other cars I had looked at online. Another question I had was the 10 year 120K mile warranty which the salesman touted as a great selling feature. Bottom line is he never informed me that this car had just received "the fix" on 6 Feb, and that the 10yr 120k warranty was part of the VW/Audi settlement. It appears that this dealership performed the fix, then cashed in on the cash payments from VW and put that money in their pocket, and sold the car to me (at a very attractive price as far as i am concerned) but I am now going to find out how this puppy drives on an 11 hour road trip!

I'll check back this weekend and share my observations, and try to take a few pics to post along with the written words, because posts are alway more interesting with pics!

If anyone has any words of wisdom (ie. experience) I would enjoy reading them.

Warmest Regards from Oklahoma City

Phil
Old 02-15-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeokie
...... I am now going to find out how this puppy drives on an 11 hour road trip! .....If anyone has any words of wisdom (ie. experience) I would enjoy reading them...Phil
Watch out for speed traps, as it will drive more than fine ! You will be mesmerized by the low RPMs driving at 85 MPH..... Let us know how it drives and the mileage you attain.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got in from the drive back from Chicago town. It's raining here in OKC so no pics tonight. AMD you were spot on about the speed traps. I forgot my Valentine and had two or three close calls, driving 75-85 mph all the way home. Averaged 36.1 mpg. The car is a dream. Smooth, sneaky fast, and so full of useful technology. Definitely hit a walk off home run with this purchase.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Old 02-28-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you been pleased with your A7 TDI so far? I'm looking to make the same purchase: 2016 TDI A7 with low mileage.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tupa7c
Have you been pleased with your A7 TDI so far? I'm looking to make the same purchase: 2016 TDI A7 with low mileage.

That TDI is a peach of an engine . . . very smooth and responsive. The build quality of the car is top shelf. I think you will be very pleased.

Quick Reply: A7 TDI post-fix