A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Anyone else experience brake dust issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else experience brake dust issues?

I have had my '13 A7 for about 2 months and have just shy of 3K miles on it. Ever since day 1 I have noticed that (particularly) my driver's side front wheel is constantly dirty. I meticulously hand wash my car at least once a week. I just cannot keep the front wheel clean from brake dust. When I wash it TONS of dust pours out. All the wheels have some but the front is by far the worst. Having owned many new cars, I wasn't too concerned because it usually goes away after awhile but I got particularly concerned when I got my electronic survey from Audi asking about my car. The survey identified (what I can only assume are other owners gripes) namely: voice recognition, Bluetooth connectivity and BRAKE DUST! Hmmmm. Just was curious about anyone else. I have my 5K mile check up coming soon and the dealer already has agreed to replace one of my rims due to a pre-existing mark. We will see if it gets better before then.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try Armorall Wheel protectant. I had the same issues as yours and since I started using it, there has been no brake dust accumulation for over three weeks now. It's starting to accumulate again, one bottle of Armorall seems to be good enough for three weeks. Washing those 10 spoke rims is a pain. The Armorall is definitely worth it.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by benna
Try Armorall Wheel protectant. I had the same issues as yours and since I started using it, there has been no brake dust accumulation for over three weeks now. It's starting to accumulate again, one bottle of Armorall seems to be good enough for three weeks. Washing those 10 spoke rims is a pain. The Armorall is definitely worth it.
+1 on ArmorAll Wheel Protectant
Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by benna
Thanks! I will pick up a bottle tomorrow and try it. And yes, those wheels are a real pain to clean!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jfintexas
+1 on ArmorAll Wheel Protectant
2+ on AA Wheel Protectant- I stock up on it when there are sales at Target or Advance. Best car detail product I have found for keeping wheels clean.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Just picked up 3 bottles of Armor All Wheel Protectent at Wal-Mart for $6 each. Can't wait to try it.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Two light coats of the AA brake dust repellant works quite well.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried it as well. Works great!! This is the longest my wheels have ever stayed clean.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

The issue with brake dust was horrible on my wife's 2010 A5 cab. Luckily, I have no brake dust issues on my 2012 A7 or 2013 A5 cab.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd assume this is due to the softness of the brake pad--performance brake pads typically shed dust like crazy. My wife has an is350 - there was a tsb from lexus regarding brakedust with enough complaints to switch them out to gs350 brakepads. I didn't notice a performance difference, but wow... zero brakedust. So--it may come down to enough people saying something about it.

Then again.. I don't find Audi service even close to on-par with the level of customer service lexus provides. I haven't had an audi very long but lexus ALWAYS takes care of us, and never balks at any requests (i.e. update the MMI software without bitching and moaning audi... )

my two cents, and then some.

Quick Reply: Anyone else experience brake dust issues?