A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Anyone having repeat issues of brake warpage and vibrations in front?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Anyone having repeat issues of brake warpage and vibrations in front?

Hey guys, I have replaced my front rotors 4 times on my 2016 Audi A7 3.0T. First two were OEMS under warranty at 8k and 16k miles and Adams slotted/dimpled rotors twice at 23k and 40k respectively. I am getting so annoyed with the noise and vibration from the front rotors and getting rounouts of the rotors. I have been driving for more than 20 years and non of the prior cars had this issue and I know how to slow down nicely and not get a hot spot on the rotors and allowing the brakes to cool when I have an heavy braking incident. Also I used OEM pads for the OEM rotors and used Akebono Euro Ceramics with both the front Adams rotors... The rear rotors are totally fine and never had issues.... I think this car has terrible braking performance and the front calipers are weak and the rotors are too small for this heavy sedan. Any insights??? The car has 44k miles on them now. I am replacing the Adams in front with Stop tech drilled and slotted sports rotors and going back to OEM brake pads for better initial bite and better brake fade than the ceramics...

Last edited by Baloo588; 12-19-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Hey guys, I have replaced my front rotors 4 times on my 2016 Audi A7 3.0T. First two were OEMS under warranty at 8k and 16k miles and Adams slotted/dimpled rotors twice at 23k and 40k respectively. I am getting so annoyed with the noise and vibration from the front rotors and getting rounouts of the rotors. I have been driving for more than 20 years and non of the prior cars had this issue and I know how to slow down nicely and not get a hot spot on the rotors and allowing the brakes to cool when I have an heavy braking incident. Also I used OEM pads for the OEM rotors and used Akebono Euro Ceramics with both the front Adams rotors... The rear rotors are totally fine and never had issues.... I think this car has terrible braking performance and the front calipers are weak and the rotors are too small for this heavy sedan. Any insights??? The car has 44k miles on them now. I am replacing the Adams in front with Stop tech drilled and slotted sports rotors and going back to OEM brake pads for better initial bite and better brake fade than the ceramics...

I had a 2012 A7 for 3 years, put 42k miles on it, never touched the brakes, never had any issue. I traded it for a 2015 A7 TDI, changed rotors and pads (with OEM parts) at 50k miles due to normal wear. I am now at 62k miles, no issues.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had replaced the front rotors 2 times on my 2015 A7 with only 25K miles before I traded for a '19 A7. It was the one negative about the car. Audi paid for the replacements.

I'm not a hard braker, but living in Chicago we have a lot of stop and go. I also think that the 1st time I had the rotors replaced it was due to me washing the car and then not drying the rotors with a brief drive. I let the car sit for a week
Old 12-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be looking at something causing the brake pads to drag on the rotors. Since the distance between the throttle and brake pedal is a little on the skinny side, it may be prudent to analyze if you could be engaging the brakes while operating the throttle. However, if you have been "doing track days" all bets are off and you will be buying lots of brake parts, tires, etc.

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2018, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Got the new stoptech sport rotors put on with OEM Audi pads and wow, very smooth braking without vibration or noise. Did 400 miles already and the stops much better and the combo of these rotors and brakes gives a great bite feel.