A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

DRL's and Taillights not shutting off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
I am glad that I don't have a 13 A7. The shutting of the engine with the door opening would drive me crazy. Do you ever try to parallel park or back up and you open the door to check how far your car is to the curb or the side of the wall? Can this "feature" be turned off?
When parallel parking, I use the back up camera to see how far I'm from a curb or wall - works well. I haven't had the need to open the door yet for parking. That said, once in awhile, I can see where I might want to get out of the car for a moment for some other reason, i.e. leave the car running in winter to clean the windows and leave the defroster running.

While I'm not aware of a Vag mod as of yet, there's an easy workaround. You turn the engine off with the Start button and start the car again and it now stays running when the door is opened. As long as the car has not moved since the last engine turn off, opening the door will not turn it off. Not perfect, but no big deal either for the once in awhile I need to keep the engine running when the door is opened.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I can think of many occasions where you have to open the door while the engine is running: when you have to pick up a parking ticket from a gate where lowering the window isn't enough; at my dealer's free car wash area where they scan the vin from the b-pillar; emission's test where you get out and let the engine running; etc etc.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
When parallel parking, I use the back up camera to see how far I'm from a curb or wall - works well. I haven't had the need to open the door yet for parking. That said, once in awhile, I can see where I might want to get out of the car for a moment for some other reason, i.e. leave the car running in winter to clean the windows and leave the defroster running.

While I'm not aware of a Vag mod as of yet, there's an easy workaround. You turn the engine off with the Start button and start the car again and it now stays running when the door is opened. As long as the car has not moved since the last engine turn off, opening the door will not turn it off. Not perfect, but no big deal either for the once in awhile I need to keep the engine running when the door is opened.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I can think of many occasions where you have to open the door while the engine is running: when you have to pick up a parking ticket from a gate where lowering the window isn't enough; at my dealer's free car wash area where they scan the vin from the b-pillar; emission's test where you get out and let the engine running; etc etc.
I just timed how long the it takes to hit the start button twice when opening the door to keep the engine running. About two seconds. In any case, the vast majority of the time, I enjoy the convenience of the engine turning off automatically when I open the door and can use the restart workaround on those rare occasions when needed. As I wrote previously, it's really no big deal. Based on the very few complaints on the C7 forums, we 2013 owners mostly are not bothered by this. Anyway, since you have a 2012 C7, you shouldn't be either.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This feature comes as a surprise to me. Not sure what to make out out this yet. However, I tend to agree it is really not a major inconvenience. I recall the number of times I open my car door after I start my engine .... less than 1% of the time. Probably a good safety thing too. It could be somewhat an inconvenience for some of the reasons mentioned earlier. Those do not apply in my case.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

As I mentioned before, I am glad that I don't have a 2013.

I just timed how long the it takes to hit the start button twice when opening the door to keep the engine running. About two seconds. In any case, the vast majority of the time, I enjoy the convenience of the engine turning off automatically when I open the door and can use the restart workaround on those rare occasions when needed. As I wrote previously, it's really no big deal. Based on the very few complaints on the C7 forums, we 2013 owners mostly are not bothered by this. Anyway, since you have a 2012 C7, you shouldn't be either.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As I mentioned before, I am glad that I don't have a 2013.
If you're happy, then I'm happy. Then we're both happy to be happy amid lots of holiday happiness!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure what you mean by "properly". There is more than one way to stop and turn off a C7; I've used all of the following:

1) Open door to turn off engine (MY2013 feature); dash lights go off; all exterior/interior car lights turn off after "coming home" time setting in MMI is reached
2) Hit Start button turning off engine; open door then same as #1 re all the lights
3) Hit Start button turning off engine, hit Start button second time to turn off car, open door; all lights same as #1
4) Open door turning off engine (or hit start button first), lock car to turn off all lights

In all cases, after a period of time, all systems eventually go to "sleep" to conserve the battery. You can tell that this has occurred in several ways; i.e. if you have Advanced Key, it will take two pulls on the door handle - first to wake up the car, second to unlock the door; another way is the MMI has to go through a complete start up vs. a quick on in standby mode. The "sleep" state is described in the manual.
The coming home feature is working for the LED Headlights/Xenon lights, but the LED DRL seem to stay on when not pressing the vehicle "stop" button. I also don't see where to set the coming home timeout on my MMI. I remember it in my S8 but can't seem to find it in my A7.

If you open the driver door (at night) before pressing the stop button, the xenon/led headlights stay on for a few seconds before cutting out. It seems the DRL lights stay on for a much longer period.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sccpmusc26
The coming home feature is working for the LED Headlights/Xenon lights, but the LED DRL seem to stay on when not pressing the vehicle "stop" button. I also don't see where to set the coming home timeout on my MMI. I remember it in my S8 but can't seem to find it in my A7.

If you open the driver door (at night) before pressing the stop button, the xenon/led headlights stay on for a few seconds before cutting out. It seems the DRL lights stay on for a much longer period.
The sequences seem to be dependent on how various exterior light settings are configured.
Car/Vehicle Settings...
Old 12-16-2012, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

The sequences seem to be dependent on how various exterior light settings are configured.
Car/Vehicle Settings...
I don't remember there being a way to set a timer on the coming home feature (like I could in previous models). Perhaps I'm mistaken.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sccpmusc26
I don't remember there being a way to set a timer on the coming home feature (like I could in previous models). Perhaps I'm mistaken.
I have it on mine. I can't remember the menu title at the moment but it's not called "coming home". There are three settings for having the lights turn off - short, medium and long as I recall. I'll check.

Quick Reply: DRL's and Taillights not shutting off.