A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Grille Paint Peeling/Flaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grille Paint Peeling/Flaking

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. Has anyone else experienced grille paint peeling/flaking? I don't believe it's caused by road rash since no damage is present beyond the peeling.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, my 2012 grille was peeling badly. I took it off, removed the chrome, and painted it myself. Removing a bit of a pain, but pretty straight forward.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SpectreGadget
Yes, my 2012 grille was peeling badly. I took it off, removed the chrome, and painted it myself. Removing a bit of a pain, but pretty straight forward.
It appears this is a common theme with Audi grilles. Once the peeling is really bad, I might replace it with an aftermarket grille. I really like the honeycomb look on some of them.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finalfan7asy
It appears this is a common theme with Audi grilles. Once the peeling is really bad, I might replace it with an aftermarket grille. I really like the honeycomb look on some of them.
I fixed it because I really like the stock grille. I had put a honeycomb on my S5, and that looked great too. Now that the chrome on the surround is warping, I've ordered a honeycomb to replace it with.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

My 2012 is flaking as well but it matches the custom rock chips from driving on Chicago highways at 70 - 90 MPH most of the time so I don't quite worry about it.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by finalfan7asy
Audi USA would not warranty the peeling stating it is due to "outside influences" such as carwash detergent. I gave up and replaced it with an aftermarket grille (I like the honeycomb look too). It took about 5 hours to complete because I had to remove the bumper cover and paint the bar behind it black. Unfortunately, the aftermarket grille's camera slot was not sized correctly and I had to modify it with a Dremel tool. You can't see the cut marks when the camera's housing/holding part is in place. Surprisingly, the grille aligned to the bumper perfectly and snapped together with ease. Not sure where that support clip came from

Last edited by finalfan7asy; 07-20-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My Audi is not an RS7 but the badge clip it came with gouged the grille pretty bad so I left it on
Old 07-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Audi Enthusiast

The chrome surround on my stock grille was warped, so I went ahead and bought a aftermarket honeycomb grille. The one I bought off ebay got the night vision camera hole and parking sensor correct.

The following users liked this post:
ljlovecars (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@SpectreGadget I definitely like the grill you have. I’d definitely appreciate it, if you could send me the link to the website you got it from. In addition, I noticed the headlights look different. What are those? Thanks
Old 07-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ljlovecars
I definitely like the grill you have. I’d definitely appreciate it, if you could send me the link to the website you got it from.
I got it from this seller on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2011-20...72.m2749.l2649
I contacted him and asked specifically for the 'quattro' surround to be black instead of chrome/silver. I didn't specify the rings color, and they sent me black, so I ended up swapping in the OEM.

Originally Posted by ljlovecars
In addition, I noticed the headlights look different. What are those? Thanks
These are OEM LED headlights. (for C7 2012-2015)

Last edited by SpectreGadget; 07-21-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Grille Paint Peeling/Flaking