A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

How much does an A7 owner earn?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does an A7 owner earn?

I have absolutely fallen in love with the A7, but am having a hard time thinking about paying nearly $70,000 for a car, particularly when I only drive about 20 miles/day. I have been driving my current car (an Acura TL-Type S) for 10 years which has about 120,000 miles and am just tired of it even though it still runs well.

I know that this might not strictly be on-topic, but how do you determine how much is too much to pay for a car given your salary. Personally, I make about $250-300k/year and live in a relatively low-cost mid-Atlantic city, but it still feels a little extravagant to drop so much money on a car.

It would be helpful for me to understand how others have made the decision of how much is too much to spend on a car and, if you don't mind sharing, understanding what percentage of your income you're willing to spend on a car.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiSomeday
I have absolutely fallen in love with the A7, but am having a hard time thinking about paying nearly $70,000 for a car, particularly when I only drive about 20 miles/day. I have been driving my current car (an Acura TL-Type S) for 10 years which has about 120,000 miles and am just tired of it even though it still runs well.

I know that this might not strictly be on-topic, but how do you determine how much is too much to pay for a car given your salary. Personally, I make about $250-300k/year and live in a relatively low-cost mid-Atlantic city, but it still feels a little extravagant to drop so much money on a car.

It would be helpful for me to understand how others have made the decision of how much is too much to spend on a car and, if you don't mind sharing, understanding what percentage of your income you're willing to spend on a car.

You are kidding right? You make $300,000 a year and you are here posting this kind of question?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you can maintain that salary +/- 15-20% you are fine. Not a bad question for someone starting out . I remember buying my first $ 60,000 car at age 35 and it was painful. that was only 12 years ago. Wish I had advice then to talk me off the roof. You will be fine and it won't change your standard of living. Congrats on success
Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great first post from Mr. Money bags. $70k is a lot for this car and I am even having second thoughts (car is on the boat)...I can afford it, but if I made 250-300k like the OP, i would be looking at the new M5 or CLS AMG63.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not to pry, but what kind of salary is making you have "second thoughts"?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

You didn't mention, are you married? Does your spouse work?

My wife and I are in that range combined and she's getting an a7.

Everyone has different standards and what they think is the right thing to do with their money and how to enjoy it.

Personally, I've always kept myself to 50% of my salary though often less as I have multiple cars/toys. Sounds good to me.

I don't doubt for a second though that someone making $50k or less will justify an a7. Is that wrong? No. Is it wise? No.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It sounds weird when you are making 250K to 300K a year, and you have doubt about a 70K car...

I don't know if the OP has a lot of other expensive expanding per month that he'll need to think twice for this car, but even then 70K car should still be nothing for his salary range (if that is true)

He even mentioned he's living in a relatively low cost area.

But this is how I feel, if you have to think twice, you probably can't afford it or can't afford it comfortably.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CharlieSlasher
You didn't mention, are you married? Does your spouse work?

My wife and I are in that range combined and she's getting an a7.

Everyone has different standards and what they think is the right thing to do with their money and how to enjoy it.

Personally, I've always kept myself to 50% of my salary though often less as I have multiple cars/toys. Sounds good to me.

I don't doubt for a second though that someone making $50k or less will justify an a7. Is that wrong? No. Is it wise? No.
What do you guys do for a living?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiSomeday
Not to pry, but what kind of salary is making you have "second thoughts"?
What do you do for a living?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hamh
It sounds weird when you are making 250K to 300K a year, and you have doubt about a 70K car...

I don't know if the OP has a lot of other expensive expanding per month that he'll need to think twice for this car, but even then 70K car should still be nothing for his salary range (if that is true)

He even mentioned he's living in a relatively low cost area.

But this is how I feel, if you have to think twice, you probably can't afford it or can't afford it comfortably.
I'm definitely living within my means, in fact, I think it's because I am a pretty frugal guy that I'm looking so closely at spending $70,000 for a toy. Our mortgage is less than $2,000 and we don't have any other debt. I am the sole breadwinner in the house and we have two kids (public school).

That aside, you're still talking about dropping $70,000 into a rapidly depreciating asset. With that, you could buy two pretty damn decent new cars.

I guess I was just trying to figure out whether everybody on this forum, so many of whom seem to act as if money is no object, are just ballers or whether they are spending a large percentage of their income on their cars.

Quick Reply: How much does an A7 owner earn?